Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    teerevor Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 14, 2007, 06:26 PM
    Sewage odor coming from bathroom sink only
    We have a small 1/2 bathroom on the main floor of our house. We just started getting a sewage odor from the sink the last couple days. I pulled the drain stop out and pulled out hair, etc. I think I cleaned most of the stuff out. We just got a new washer and dryer and installed it downstairs about 1 week ago. Could this be related? How do we fix it if so?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jun 15, 2007, 07:51 AM
    Most bad smells in tubs, lavatorys and showers are caused by rotting hair matted with grease from the soap. Try this for the smell. Tonight before bedtine Take a 1/2 gallon of bleach and pour it down the drain and let set over night. Next morning ,(and this is important) flush out the drain with two large pans of boiling water to loosen the grease and flush the mess out. The bleach will make the hair slippery and began to dissolve it and the hot water will melt the grease and flush the mess away.
    This should make your drains smell better. Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Odor coming from under Kitchen sink [ 73 Answers ]

I have noticed an odor coming from the cabinets where the kitchen sink is. I have looked for any leaks where the sink is, but have not found any. Could the odor be coming from the sewage? How can I tell? If so, then what can I do to get rid of it? Any help would be a appreciated. Thanks.

How to stop sewage odor? Old sink in garage was removed. [ 3 Answers ]

We had a plumber once remove an old laundry tub/sink from our garage. Then recently we had a sewage back-up which plumber came to repair... most likely was caused by tree roots. There is still a terrible sewage stench coming from the garage. Plumber thinks it may be due to gases coming from the pvc...

Mildew odor coming from the kitchen sink [ 2 Answers ]

There is an mildew odor coming from the kitchen sink. I have tried putting baking soda, lemons and bleach down it but nothing has worked. It seems like it is mainly coming from the garbage disposal side of the sink. On some days it is stronger than others, but now I have to keep the drain caps...

Sewage gas odor in bathroom [ 1 Answers ]

We had a new toilet installed about 2 years ago. It seemed to work okay but made a strange gurgling sound when flushing. This lasted about six months, then went away. Now suddenly we have a sewage smell in that bathroom. The toilet seems to be working fine. What could this be from?

Sewage odor in bathroom [ 1 Answers ]

We had just moved into a condo and are located on the 3rd floor. We now find that there is a sewage smell in the main bathroom every day. How can we find out what can possible be causing this? We also notice that the water in the bathroom toilet appears to have water flowing back and forth...

View more questions Search