Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Michelle29 Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Sep 22, 2007, 12:50 PM
    Can a minor birth mother's parents relinquish rights to the birth father?
    Hello,
    Here's the situation: the soon-to-be birth mother is 16, still living with her parents and attending school. The birth father is 18, still lives with his parents but has a job and is generally responsible. The parents of the birth mother want her to put the baby up for adoption and move on with her life, she agrees. The birth father--and more so his parents--want to raise the baby. They suggest relinquishing all parental rights to the birth father, or themselves. They are financial capabel of raising the child.

Would this be considered an "adoption" in either case? The birth mother does not want to be named on the birth certificate, nor does she want any contact or responsibility. The birth father and his parents have accepted her wishes and are OK with it. The two birth parents do not live in the same state so the baby would have no accidental contact.

Any thoughts, similar situations? What would the birth certificate look like? Would she be named or would it just be confidential?
    luvpets Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 2, 2007, 07:31 AM
    I have a very similar situation, Please let me know what the response to your questions is. I'm the Father and the birth Mother does not want any rights to the child. Does it have to go through adotion or can she just sign a form releaseing her rights and also will her name not be shown on the Birth certificate.
    Foxy459459 Posts: 368, Reputation: 36

Oct 2, 2007, 07:46 AM
    I don't think you have to go through adoption because you are the father, as long as you have her sign off rights to the little one and you sign the birth certificate you should be fine. What states are we talking about?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Oct 2, 2007, 08:18 AM
    Now, I am looking at the title to this post

can a minor birth mother's parents relinquish rights to the birth father?
    The parents of the birth mother (minor or not) cannot be the ones to relinquish the rights to the birth father. It would have to be the birth mother herself, again minor or not.

Once that baby is born SHE is the parent and her parents have no legal say in terminating rights, medical treatment, etc, in regards to the baby.

If she chooses not to terminate rights, then that is her choice and her parents can legally do nothing about it. She will be the one required to sign the papers, not her parents.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 2, 2007, 08:27 AM
    I agree an adoption would not be necessary. However, I don't think its possible to not have the mother's name on the because.

I think that the father's parents should adopt the child with the bio parents relinquishing their rights. I think that's the only way that the records could be sealed so the mother would not be known. The adoptive parents can then tell the child the truth about who its father is.

But if the bio-father takes sole legal custody, the mother's name would still be on the because and she would still have to formally relinquish her rights.
    Michelle29 Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Oct 3, 2007, 06:03 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Foxy459459
    I dont think you have to go through adoption because you are the father, as long as you have her sign off rights to the little one and you sign the birth certificate you sould be fine. What states are we talking about?

Hi Foxy,
    Thankd for taking the time to respond. The father is in Oregon and mother is in Georgia.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What Rights does my Child [ 4 Answers ]

I was never married to my 13 year old son's biological father. However I was married to someone else at the time. My ex-husbands name is on his birth certificate since the law says if you are married the husband is the legal father regardless of the actual biology. My ex did know that the child was...

Minor child's last name change parents never married both last names on Birth certifi [ 1 Answers ]

My daughter is 10 and I need to know how to change her last name. Both last names of the parent and non custodial parents last names are on the Birth certificate (hyphenated) but she only uses one name, however schools she attends uses both with the non custodial parents last name first. She...

What is process for birth mother to relinquish rights to the biological father [ 1 Answers ]

My husband and I are going to raise the baby he is the biological father of, soon to be born. The biological mother, has two kids and does not want to raise another. She wants the baby's father, my husband, and I to raise this baby as our own. My husband will be listed as father on the birth...

Changing mother's last name on birth certificate [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I'm 11 weeks pregnant, and the father and I are together, but not married. If we marry after the baby is born, can I have my last name changed on the baby's birth certificate? We live in TN.

Rights of a father not listed on birth certificate [ 3 Answers ]

I live in Louisiana and am pregnant with my first child. The father of the baby has expressed no interest in the baby and will not be listed on the birth certificate. What rights, if any will he have even if he isn't listed on the birth certificate?

View more questions Search