Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    neltrip Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 17, 2007, 05:28 PM
    Free standing structures
    What would be the best way to secure posts on a two post free standing shade structure?
    We want to be able to remove and replace posts in case of rot etc.
    The structure will be 10ft tall, 8ft long, 2ft wide with a roof covered by cloth material.
    It will be in a high wind area at times.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 18, 2007, 09:24 AM
    I would dig a hole about 8-10 inches in diameter 3 fet deep. Drop in a 4x4 made from AC2 pressure treated lumber. Back fill with fine pea gravel. The lumber should last about 10-15 years and the gravel can alsways be removed later.
    Kstar4u Posts: 255, Reputation: 22

Apr 18, 2007, 12:36 PM
    My suggestion would be to dig footings for each post (at least 12" SQUARE X 2' deep) and use "column base" hardware (Simpson CB44 or CB66 or equiv.) leaving at least a 1" air gap under the metal base to prevent water damage that occurs by wood's natural "wicking" tendency. Use 1/2" plated or galvanized through bolts to secure the wooden post to the base.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Question on structures in Organic Chemistry ! [ 2 Answers ]

3.52 mg of compound "A" reacts with red Phosphorous and Bromine to gine compound "B". Compound "B" on reaction with KCN fives "C" which on hydolysis gives "D". "D" is optically inactive. "D" on mild heating gives "E" & "F". "E" on further heating in presence of Soda Lime gived "F" & "G". Both "F"...

Drawing Structures [ 4 Answers ]

How do I Draw the structure of the following compound. 3-(bromomethyl)-4-octanol

Free-standing noise cancellation? [ 5 Answers ]

A friend without a computer is wondering Whether there's a noise cancellation system That can stand by itself in the middle of an Apartment near a freeway. She really can't Picture herself wearing headphones all the time She's at home. Anyone know of a free-standing Device that...

Drawing chemical structures? [ 1 Answers ]

Please can you tell me how I go about drawing structures for chemicals. I'm presently doing physics and don't know anything about chemistry structures. I've been given the task to draw the structure for the following compound: Pyridinium, 4- ethenyl]-1-(sulfobutyl)-, inner salt. Any...

View more questions Search