Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Coconut Tan Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jun 24, 2013, 02:24 PM
    Perma tank pad 20
    First Time Member: My Perma Tank PAD 20 Pressure gauge goes from 95 down to 20 PSI when we are using the water: water hose, shower, etc.. Is the pressure gauge going up and down a normal procedure or is the Tank on it's last leg?
    Thank You
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Jun 24, 2013, 02:31 PM
    If the pressure gauge drops form 95 to 20 as soon as you open faucet and returns to 95 as soon as you closed the faucet or shortly there after, you have a ruptured bladder.

Jun 24, 2013, 02:36 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by hkstroud View Post
    If the pressure gauge drops form 95 to 20 as soon as you open faucet and returns to 95 as soon as you closed the faucet or shortly there after, you have a ruptured bladder.
    TY for you quick responce: In a Normal setting, what is the pressure ranges are suppose to be? Those it suppose to stay at 95 psi all of the time?
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Jun 24, 2013, 02:42 PM
    Pressure variance is normal. However, I find 95, which I assume is gage pressure, to be an extremely high pressure. Normal fluctuation, at least on my well pump, is 20# running from 30 to 50#. Is the pump cycling rapidly or is it acting normal? I would probably replace the gage, they are inexpensive, $10 or so. Turn off the pump, bleed off the pressure, replace the gage and start it up. What do you observed?

Jun 24, 2013, 02:52 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ma0641 View Post
    Pressure variance is normal. However, I find 95, which I assume is gage pressure, to be an extremely high pressure. Normal fluctuation, at least on my well pump, is 20# running from 30 to 50#. Is the pump cycling rapidly or is it acting normal? I would probably replace the gage, they are inexpensive, $10 or so. Turn off the pump, bleed off the pressure, replace the gage and start it up. What do you observed?
    My observstion was this, with the water hose running outside, the pressure gauge was at 95psi then an electrical current from a small electric box next the pressure gauge will come on, and the PSi will start dropping, as low as 20 psi, then another electrical current, and up to 95psi again. The cycles from 95psi to 20psi and back to m95psi was about 5 minutes. Hope this helps
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Jun 24, 2013, 04:58 PM
    was about 5 minutes
    Doesn't sound like ruptured bladder.

First turn off breakers to well.

Take note of pressure gauge reading. Open a faucet and let out about 1 gallon of water. Note pressure. If bladder is OK there should be not significant change in pressure. If significant change in pressure you may have ruptured bladder.

If no significant change in pressure, remove cover of pressure switch (small electric box next the pressure gauge). Should have just a small thumb nut holding it in place. Continue to let water out of tank until you see and hear points of switch close. Note pressure when points close (should be around 20 lbs). That is your cut on pressure.

Drain tank completely. There should be a drain valve some where near tank.
    See what looks like a tire valve on the top of the tank? With tank empty of all water, using a small compressor or hand pump pressurize tank to two pounds less than the cut on pressure. Use a tire gauge to measure air pressure (water pressure gauge will be reading zero)

Close drain valve and turn on breakers. Pump should come on and pressure begin to rise. Pump should turn off at 20 lbs above the cut on pressure.

You can increase (or decrease) both the cut on and cut off pressures by tightening or loosening the nut or screw on the large spring on the switch. You can change the difference between the cut on and the cut off pressure by tightening or loosening the nut or screw on the small spring. Normal difference between the two is 20 lbs.

Normal maximum pressure is around 60 lbs. Sounds like your system is set up to come on at 20 and go off at 40. If that isn't happening you may have a defective switch or the port to the switch is clogged with debris. Remove and clean or replace.

If you wish to change the operating range to say 40-60, turn pump breakers on and let pressure reach 60. If pressure does not go up to 60, tighten large spring (one to two turns at an time) until it does. Turn breakers off. Drain tank of all water and pressurize tank to 38 lbs. If present pressure is above 60, turn breakers off and drain tank down to 60 and loosen large spring until points of switch open. Drain tank and pressurize to 38 lbs.

Observe operation of pump..

Jun 24, 2013, 05:24 PM
    WOW!! Lots of great info here. TY for taking the time in explaining the functionality. We'll keep you informed of my findings.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Jun 24, 2013, 05:43 PM
    That is great info from Harold. My initial concern was having pipe issues at 95#. Normal house pressure rarely exceeds 65#. Hard to imagine a pump pushing 95# unless it is a very shallow well but then dropping to 20 # is also strange. I have mine set at 50#cutoff, 30#cuton, it is a 210Ft well in the GA Mountains..

Jun 25, 2013, 06:48 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ma0641 View Post
    That is great info from Harold. My initial concern was having pipe issues at 95#. Normal house pressure rarely exceeds 65#. Hard to imagine a pump pushing 95# unless it is a very shallow well but then dropping to 20 # is also strange. I have mine set at 50#cutoff, 30#cuton, it is a 210Ft well in the GA Mountains..
    I do have on last question: Yesterday when reading all of the above advice, I went back to see the capacity of gallons this Tank held (6.2 Gallon Tank) and doing so I observed that the bottom 1/4 of the tank had condensation all the way round the tank plus it was really cold to the touch, the top 3/4 was normal to the touch as in room temperature and dry as well. Again is this a normal function of my "Perma Tank" Model PAD 20, or is it another sign of the tank going bad? Just to clarify I do have pressure when running the water, inside or outside the house, just that I do notice more pressure about every 5 min or so after running the water. It's not a problem YET just trying to figure if it's a problem in the making.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Greek born australia citizen perma american visa question [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, I'm a greek born, Australian citizen, I wish to try and get a permanent visa to live in America one day, I hear that the greek passports (wich I can easily apply for and get) are now dual passports with america or something along those lines, could somehow shed some light/ clear up some of the...

I pad [ 1 Answers ]

Can anyone tell me the difference between a regular I pad and a 3G I pad?

Wood Saunas, perma chink and cedar [ 0 Answers ]

I am building a pine and spruce log sauna, to be heated by a wood stove. First question: Is Perma Chink safe for use in a sauna?(Can it be heated, with a lot of moisture and not offgas toxic substances?) Second question: I wanted to line the sauna with red cedar tongue and groove and build cedar...

Can you spray water on the to of a lilly pad tokill the lilly pad? [ 1 Answers ]

Can you kill lilly pads by having a continuous water spray on the surface of th lilly pad?

Well perma PAD20 Tank is full of water [ 2 Answers ]

The tank filled up with water. When I checked the air pressure, water came out. So I drained down the water and then refilled the tank with 40 psi air. Is it normal for this to occur or is the bladder most likely leaking. Will I end up having to change the tank. Never changed the tank...

View more questions Search