Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    juniperblue Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

May 17, 2005, 02:30 PM
    College Credit for Interning Question
    I live in California and I graduated from college last year. I want to apply for an internship in Boston, but they won't let me apply unless I can get college credit for the internship. I checked with my alma mater and they would charge $1620 to credit it. I don't have $1620 to pay for it. I tried community colleges in California and Massachusetts and neither seemed to have a program that would work. Does anyone have any suggestions for how to get college credit cheaply and easily for the internship? Thank you.
    OASIS2007 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 11, 2007, 09:18 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by juniperblue
    I live in California and I graduated from college last year. I want to apply for an internship in Boston, but they won't let me apply unless I can get college credit for the internship. I checked with my alma mater and they would charge $1620 to credit it. I don't have $1620 to pay for it. I tried community colleges in California and Massachusetts and neither seemed to have a program that would work. Does anyone have any suggestions for how to get college credit cheaply and easily for the internship? Thank you.
    Contact the Orlando Area Student Intern Society!

We've yet to find a way around paying for a course to obtain credit! I guess the real question would be - Is the company that requires you to do an internship for course credit providing the most "real" experience. Would you be better off doing an internship where the practical training allows you to ultimately gain a position with that company? Some companies would have you answering the phone or filing all day, just so that you can put their name on your resume' - what good is that if you didn't get to apply your knowledge to really working?

If you've already graduated - is it more important to gain course credit, or obtain a paid internship? As schools expect employer's training programs to become more comprehensive; the competativeness for top internships has increarsed.

Companies have begun demanding only the best students for filling available intern positions, to include the requirement of having previously completed an internship to be considered. As most employers have done for years to fill mid and high level positions, many have begun turning to third party recruiters to also provide interns. This allows an employer to view only qualified prospective resume's without traveling from school-to-school doing hundreds of 3 minute interviews.

Lets face it, internships have become an industry!

Most third party internship recruitment companies are worth their fees - Keeping in mind; they fill an important need to top employers, and represent your candidacy. Make sure they can assist you through the entire process; resume', interviews, acceptance letters, housing, travel and transportation questions, etc.

Director

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

On probation as of feb 1st I have question,can I leave state for a college visit ? [ 7 Answers ]

:confused: HELP!! OK I've been placed on probation for the next 3 yrs of my life.this is my first offense.I'm 21.I am scheduled to go to Arizona in march for 3 days for college campus visits.I live in ny.What are my chances of getting to leave state?My probation officer said "it's going to be...

Is Excelsior College a real college? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, if someone can please help me and let me know if Excelsior College's distance learning program is legally accredited, I would appreciate it very much. I would like to get a BS degree in Computer Information System through distance learning. I found that Excelsior College is perfect for this,...

College guy suddenly confusing college girl [ 4 Answers ]

So here's the deal: I entered college midyear. During my first week, I met this incredibly nice & cute guy. We hit it off. We spent hours just talking in his room. He drove me to the bookstore to get my books. We went out for fast food a couple times. Things got complicated when he decided to...

Credit Memo Question [ 1 Answers ]

875 Do I make a return on this in the general journal? Like debit account payable and credit merchandise inventory? :confused:

View more questions Search