Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Vusi Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 25, 2009, 07:25 AM
    Unable to open any office 2003 application after downgrading fro office 2007
    Hi Guys

I just uninstalled office 2007 and installed office 2003, but I cannot go to outlook, it gives me an error saying something like mapi.

Please assist guys:confused:
    Perito Posts: 3,139, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Jun 25, 2009, 07:42 AM

Hmmm. I guess if it were my system, I'd uninstall Office 2003 using Revo Uninstaller

Revo Uninstaller Freeware - Uninstall Software, Remove Programs, Solve uninstall problems

Revo Uninstaller will give you four choices for uninstalling:

a. Built-in (normal uninstall)
    b. Save uninstall
    c. Moderate
    d. Advanced.

I'd use at least the "Moderate", and possibly the "Advanced" uninstall in this case. Revo Uninstaller should, hopefully, clean out all remnants of Office 2003. The unknown is whether it will delete everything from Office 2007.

To try to make sure that everything from Office 2007 is gone, first, look under C:\Program Files for any Microsoft Office directories. Delete anything you find. Also, look under C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared and delete anything like Office10 or Office11 or Office12 folders.

In an explorer Window, go to TOOLS | FOLDER OPTIONS | VIEW (tab) scroll down to Hidden files and folders and click "Show hidden files and folders". Scroll down further and uncheck "Hide protected operating system files (Recommended)". When Windows complains, say "Yes".

Go to C:\Documents and Settings\[yourusername]\Appllication Data\Microsoft and delete the Office, Outlook, PowerPoint, and Word folders.

Go to C:\Documents and Settings\[yourusername\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft, and delete the Office and Outlook folders.

I'd then install CCleaner

CCleaner - Home

And I'd run the registry cleaner at least three times -- deleting everything it found each time (you can save backups for what you delete, if you wish). I'd also run a general clean but I'd first uncheck "Options | Advanced | Only delete files in Windows Temp folders older than 48 hours". You want to make sure that there's nothing on your hard drive that looks like an old copy of Windows.

Finally, I'd reinstall Office 2003.

Good luck.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 25, 2009, 07:46 AM

Outlook is the only part of the Office apps that cannot co-exist with other versions.

If you get an error message please reproduce the error EXACTLY. It may not mean much to you, but it could give us a clue as to the problem. MAPI is a standard used by e-mail clients, so it could be that you still have a 2007 version. But the exact error message may tell us how to fix it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Uninstalling Office 2007 and Installing Office 2003 [ 2 Answers ]

I recently purchased a new Dell with a Vista system. It also came pre loaded with Office 2007. My problem is: I do contracting work at home and Office 2007 is not compatible with the software they use so I must install Office 2003 to continue to work. If I go to the add/remove programs in my...

Office 2007 not compatible with 2003 [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I can't open attachments from office 2007 when I have office 2003

Office 2007 asks for Office 2000 installation discs [ 2 Answers ]

Hi all. I used to run Office 2000 but uninstalled it and installed Office 2007. When I run the Spell Checker it does not function. When I try to run it, The computer tries to install it and then asks for the Office 2000 Installation disks. I insert the Office 2000 disks but then it...

Office 2003 can't open after uninstalling Office 2007 [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I can't open any of my Office 2003 applications. A 'Widows Installer' box pops up, and asks for SKU112.CAB. I can't find my original install disks. I tried a solution I found, opening in safe mode and stopping msiexec.exe, but the laptop then showed a Error 1311. Source file not found....

View more questions Search