Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    megaman87 Posts: 31, Reputation: 1

Jan 20, 2006, 01:59 PM
    What are blood lines
    My dog is a pure pitbull but people tell me he is a gator line dog > and I don't know what that means do you know where I can find information and pictures of "gator bloodline pitbulls ? Cause I really want to get well informed about this I don't know what it means and I don't want to be ignorant about this
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jan 20, 2006, 02:22 PM
    You might find a more precise definition at www.akc.org. You have your dog's pedigree? As you go back each dog combined 2 blood lines. Any of the strings of parents going back is a blood line. If the parents are too closely related they are more likely to share the same recessive gene, which often leads to problems.

We have a couple of good Pit Bull owners here. Maybe one of them can explain the gator line. Even in Labs, I am not real familiar with blood lines. Years ago there were good people on the net that could fill in gaps in my knowledge. Unfortunately too many got tired of those knowing less than them arguing and disappeared. We still have plenty of average dog owners willing to put in their opinions.
    lilfyre Posts: 508, Reputation: 98

Jan 20, 2006, 08:08 PM
    Gator was a famous Champion Pit-bull. A Champion for fighting the dogs name was Alligator from Texas hence the nick name. Thousands of sires and dams named Gator

Jan 21, 2006, 06:31 AM
    It is okay to be proud of you dog:) , stop worrying if it is not big enough, or what blood line it has, if you would like I will send you all my links on AMSAF and Pit bulls. Please read them and research them, and then go out with your dog and promote the breed, see if you can stop just one person from fighting these wonderful dogs, you are so much younger than I and could reach a whole new crowd. If you can save just one dog you have saved more than the people that fight them do. Always start saying this is my dog, ( name ) and he or she is a Pit-bull,

Remember that you are the only one that can promote this dog’s breed as the loving animal they can be,:rolleyes: many people exploit the breed resulting in negative publicity for the pit. This is resulting in many towns not allowing the breed.

I would be lost with out my Miss Piggy, when people ask if she it a pit-bull, I always say why yes she is, I tell them her sad, very sad story, tell everyone what she has accomplished since she was first rescued. In public she is walked with a harness and collar combo, Pink because she is a girl. We go to Pet smart, Pet co, Pets plus, Pets unlimited, and you well you get the idea, all to promote, safe Pit-bull handling. She loves the store and tries to pick out all the goodies, she can not have because it will hurt her tummy. The more people that see her out and about in a good way the better. :D

I knew that I had done something good about a week ago when a person in the parking lot that I did not know yelled to my dog not me my dog, they yelled hey Miss Piggy, I stopped a just looked, this person knew her, which means that somewhere he had seen us speak, and we, my dog and I had done such a good job that he remembered her name. Not mine hers, :eek:
    jennapbt Posts: 131, Reputation: 19

Jan 21, 2006, 11:58 AM
    Bloodlines are a dogs family tree. It's the parents grandparents ggrandparents etc. There will be a top and a bottom to a pedigree. The top consists of the sires line and the bottom consists of the dams line. There are certain ways people make up a bloodline (if they are responsible breeders). There is line breeding which is having the same line (heritage) through out the pedigree but doing it very carefully to get a certain look of the next generation or to keep that look.Doing it that way you know what you will get from each litter. Then there is cross or out cross breeding which is crossing lines (of the same breed) of different pedigrees this way, you don't know what you get. If you have a pure gator line you are lucky because you don't see many of the old school game lines anymore. They still exsist but many people stray from that now a days. There is Eli, Carver,Alligator, Wilder, Butthead lines just to name a few. Majority if it's a real game dog it will have lots of different old school game dog lines in the pedigree. With pit bulls they arnt registered with AKC. UKC(United Kennel Club) is geared more to the pit bulls of today. ADBA(American Dog Breeders Association)- is what the old school pit bulls are mainly registered as, but people today will dual register their dogs w/ UKC and ADBA. With having a game bred dog you are getting the type of the yester year per say. Basically it won't be a show dog. You have to also be careful that the dog was bred carefully, so it would be a good idea to do some training and open it up to as many real world situations and experiences as possible. Some game bred dogs have a high prey instinct so be careful when you try to socialize your dog with other dogs. Getting him around more and more dogs (and small animals) slowly would be a good idea. Personally I prefer the more conformation side of the pit bull, show dogs. I respect people that still breed their dogs for the look of the past only if they stray away from the REASONS for breeding of the past. And when you wanted to make your dog "bigger" that bloodline you have are very small dogs which should be no more than 40-50 lbs. Very lean muscular dogs. So I would just stop trying to make him big because he's not going to get big, maybe fat if you keep trying. Anyway, if you have any more questions ask

Jan 21, 2006, 06:10 PM
    Im glad I came to this page
    I'm reallly glad that I found this page with experts as you all guys are and you are very helpful with every question that I asked and thank you all for this I got more informed about my dog and yes the breeder said he is a pure gator bloodline pit so I'm going to stop worrying about his weight the main reason I was worried about its because I heard about so many dogs with different kind of worms that make them not gain weight or sometimes even loose it . But the doctor said my dog looked very athletic and that it was a good thing becase pits need at least 2 hours of excersise every day and that's exactly what I do > can you tell me if my dog whenever he gets older is he going to get mean cause now he is like very friendly with all dogs and I have a little schnauzer but he gets along with him very well is he going to not like him later on ? Cause he never shows no kind of aggression towards it > and last time he got into a fight with the neighbors dogs cause he attacked the little schnauzer but other than that he is very friendly and yes I would like to see you links to help the breed .

Jan 21, 2006, 08:00 PM
    If your dog is social now and you continue to keep him social you will have no problem with him, doggy obedience classes are a plus, if you do not mistreat him you will have no problems, you can look up my post, my Miss Piggy is in a lot of them. She gets along with anyone who means us no harm.

I have only met one person she did not like and the most her did was sit on my feet, and growl. I would like to point out, that I did know this person, from our town, and he was not a nice person. He entered our yard while having a yard sale. My daughter walked over to us took the dog from my hands told her “here-to me the dog left my sit and sat at her feet, and then told her heal, she and the dog walked off, with no problem. Dog obedience classes are a must.

Sad reality of fighting Pit bulls,

The pit bull owner's Code of Conduct

breed specific legislation

Positive Pit Press

Sad reality gallery
    This site will break your heart.

American Temperament Test Society
    93% of the pit bulls tested past the temperament test as for the favorite family pets, a must see on who failed.

American Pit Bull Registry
    Out of the Pits

Pit Bulls: Menace or misunderstood?

The pit bull press

I hope this is helpful to you..................it took well over an hour to post all of this for you and I a few for for now..................:)
    Uber Member

Jan 21, 2006, 09:00 PM
    Does Miss Piggy have her Canine Good Citizen certificate? Easy to get for any decently trained dog. My Lab Aster passed without any special work ahead of time. The 2 Dobes ahead of us in line did too. Toughest part maybe staying on task around other dogs and people. Some dogs maynot do well on being left by their owner. $5 and you have an impressive certificate from he AKC.

Jan 22, 2006, 02:46 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by labman
    Does Miss Piggy have her Canine Good Citizen certificate? Easy to get for any decently trained dog. My Lab Aster passed without any special work ahead of time. The 2 Dobes ahead of us in line did too. Toughest part maybe staying on task around other dogs and people. Some dogs maynot do well on being left by their owner. $5 and you have an impressive certificate from he AKC.
    No, how do I go about getting it, that would be a nice thing to add to her things to do:)
    Uber Member

Jan 22, 2006, 05:40 PM
    It is an AKC thing. Talk to your local kennel club and check www.akc.org. They had a ring set up and were testing dogs at the Barktober fest my puppy group met at last fall. There were booths, demos, and all sorts of things. The one vet practice does it every year. I just showed up with Aster and did it.

Jan 22, 2006, 11:16 PM
    I want to get my dog to do sport I specifically want him to pull weights cause he is like really strong and I think he is capable of doing it I don't push him so hard to do weights I just let him run and play fetch but do you think is a good idea of putting him to do this kind of sport ? Cause I have plenty of time to train him and spend time with him
    jennapbt Posts: 131, Reputation: 19

Jan 23, 2006, 07:20 PM
    Weight pulling sounds good to me. If he is real high energy it would be really good for him. You need to do a lot of research before you put any kind of weight on him though. Some are very willing to do it just to please their owner. Some (like a few of mine) don't want anything to do with it. Here's a good site to learn a little more. http://apbtconformation.com/weight_pulling.htm
    amber lee Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 28, 2007, 04:06 PM
    i think that you are a great person to know that pit bull fighting is the wrong thing to op if you have a pit i think that all dogs should have a equal chace to live and that chance should be the one to live life to the fullest like you and i
    [IMG]pit[/IMG]you could be the one to make a difference

Pit Bull Rescue Central
    amber lee Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 28, 2007, 04:10 PM
    im not sure what that means but ithink that you should have the right to take care of another dog that needs your help he could make it more fun to your dog to learn something new and you never now they might surprise you!!!

Make a difference save the life of a pit bull

Pit Bull Rescue Central
    jnutty Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 18, 2007, 12:51 PM
    Can a blue pit bull be black because my dog is a light shade of black
    :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:
    gamedog2009 Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Oct 12, 2008, 10:16 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by megaman87 View Post
    My dog is a pure pitbull but people tell me he is a gator line dog > and i dont know what that means do you know where i can find information and pictures of "gator bloodline pitbulls ? cause i really want to get well informed about this i dont know what it means and i dont want to be ignorant about this
    Chances are you don't have a decent alligator dog! Everyone thinks their pit are gator or colby lol. Just love your dog and never breed it!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Pit bull questions and answers about tips to help found dogs gain weight? [ 5 Answers ]

I found a 2-3 month old pit bull how can I help her gain weight she's extremely skinny. I gave her a vitamin shot and she's been on pedialyte and on dog food with 28% protein and 18% fat but it doesn't really help she only eats twice a day. Her stomach gets big when she eats but she's not...

How far back do pit bull bloodlines go, & how many are there? [ 2 Answers ]

How far back do bloodlines for pit bulls go, & how many are there? How did all of the silly names come about? I know what a bloodline is-- I have a pit bull myself & I know her bloodline, I'm just curious about it. I have done my reseach and come up with practically nothing-- Can any one...

Red nose gator pit [ 3 Answers ]

What kind of toys do you get for the dogs? Does any one out there have red nose gator pit and must be a female for free.

Ban of pit bull dogs [ 82 Answers ]

----------------- Bulletin Message ----------------- "Rep. Wesselhoft said the proposed bill will also include provisions designed to bring about an eventual ban of pit bull dogs in the state. The grandfather clause contained in the bill would allow for the continuing existence of pit bulls...

Unfamiliar with specific Pit Bull bloodline. [ 10 Answers ]

I ran across a man yesterday that had one of the most beautiful pits I've ever seen. When I asked him what line his dog came from, he said he breeds ?FTL's? I can't remember the specific letters that he said, but I'm pretty sure that FTL was the abbreviation. Has anyone heard of this line? ...

View more questions Search