Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dlcsmc86 Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Dec 7, 2005, 06:28 PM
    Is it really settled?
    I was sent a settlement letter by a collection agency the debt was $307.
    They offered my a settlement $215 to settle debt paid. I sent them the money via Money order and return receipt in plenty of time. BUT the difference of $92. Is showing up on my credit bureau as an owed balance.
    What is that all about?? Is settlement in full, settlement in full or not?
    I will be checking with the collection agency and the credit bureau tomarro, but was shocked to see it on there. Any advice on this. Do you think it was a mistake? Thanks
    nymphetamine Posts: 900, Reputation: 109

Dec 7, 2005, 06:36 PM
    I think it's a great suggestion to talk with the collection agency and the credit burea. Someone either pulled one over on you or it was a simple mistake. Dang bill collectors.

Dec 7, 2005, 06:53 PM
    Hi and thanks for responding. Not sure what you meant by pulled one over on me. But as ruthless as they can be, I will give them a run for their money.
    I just can't stand them. Almost can't wait for tomorro to come! See what genious brilliant answer they come up with. Thanks
    nymphetamine Posts: 900, Reputation: 109

Dec 7, 2005, 07:03 PM
    Here's what you do when you talk to them. Do not rant and rave and scream. You may feel like it but that will only make them want to get revenge. Talk to them politely and make a few compliments(even if you don't feel this way) but don't talk have them thinking they can push you over either. Start like that. Now if that doesn't work then you might have to get a little fiery. Its always best to butter them up first because your more likely to get what you want and then some.

Dec 7, 2005, 07:20 PM
    Settlement gone bad
    Hi,
    I know what you mean. I will be good...
    Thanks
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Dec 7, 2005, 07:39 PM
    If they agreed to settle for $215 and you paid them $215, then the debt should be settled. Hang on to the settlement letter, make some photocopies and be prepared to distribute them as needed. Also retain your receipt for the money order. These two things should serve as proof that you've settled the debt.

Dec 8, 2005, 05:59 AM
    Settlement
    Thanks, I should be in good shape then, because I do have all my paper receipts including front and back of MO and their "official" letter.
    They never let you go do they? As soon as they open this morning, I will call. But will let you know what happens later today. Thanks again.

Dec 8, 2005, 05:03 PM
    Update
    Hello again,
    Well today I called the @#%@ collection agency and they said Don't you know that paid in full and settlement paid in full is 2 different things. Are you playing games with us? Then he abruptly hung up on me. Called back and the phone just rang and rang. Next step is to contact the bureaus. See what they have to say and what I need to send to them for proof. Oh well back to the drawing board. I also got my second credit report from Equifax in the mail today and It said settlement accepted, but the $92. Still showed up on that one. Just don't know why the $92 dollars is still showing up.
    Thanks to all.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 8, 2005, 05:13 PM
    Collection
    First was the offer to settle in writing, it is a common, very common practice for them to agree to something over the phone, get you to pay some money, they guess what, they forget all about the talk.;

If the letter is in writing then you may not owe the money but the amount not paid can still be shown as a charge off, an amount owed by not paid.

IF you have the agreement in writing, you can contact the credit bureau ( may as well contact all three of the major ones) and then send them proof of the settlement, they shoud correct the amount showing

It is a small amount and my not be worth an attorney, but in the end, often an attorney is the only way to get a lot of debt issues cleared up

Dec 10, 2005, 07:26 AM
    Update
    Hello and thank you for your response. I did make sure that I got a settlement letter. As a matter of fact, they sent it to me. I didn't negotiate for a lower amount. THey sent me a letter stating that the $215 was a settlement offer they were making to me. So I have that letter in hand.
    I will now try to contact all the credit bureaus about this situation. Thanks for any help.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

View more questions Search