Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rich5298 Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Feb 2, 2007, 04:07 PM
    Symmons temptrol valve on shower/tub
    I can only get hot water from this brand new valve. Yhe only way to get cooler water is to reduce the valve to a point where I get very low flow. Increasing the flow to a satisfactory flow only gives hot water. The water coming in is at 130 degrees F. I can not change the temp of the water coming in.
    I visited Symmons web site and the best recommendation they have is " open valve half way and tap it with a wooden hammer or disassemble and hit stem hard to lossen the balance control device. I did this and there is no change.
    When I have the stem out and in my hand, am I suppose to feel something (balancing device) moving inside when I shake it? This has been going on for a long time and I have been taking baths instead of a shower. Now I have trouble getting into a bath due to hip replacements and I would like to take showers instead.
    Is there another stem which will replace mine without taking the wall apart?
    Thank you very much for any help you may offer.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Feb 3, 2007, 05:29 AM
    Perhaps this will help. Symmons - FAQ Regards Tom
    Eternal Plumber

Feb 3, 2007, 07:30 AM
    Gee! I'm reaL sorry that Symmons FAQ didn't help and that you're unhappy with the diagram and the faq's. I have a dandy suggestion. If you can't free up the stem by smaking it with a hammer or soaking it in vinegar why not bite the bullet and replace it?
    "When I have the stem out and in my hand, am I suppose to feel something (balancing device) moving inside when I shake it?"

Of course there's moving parts in the unit. That's why they suggested loosening it up.
    "Is there another stem which will replace mine without taking the wall apart?"

You will have to open up the valve to replace the stem but not the wall. Ask for Symmons Part# TA10. How much "dialog" did you expect? Tom

Feb 3, 2007, 07:51 AM
    Symmons temptrol valve on shower/tub
    I don't have a problem replacing the valve stem. It's just that a new valve, installed by the plumber should work properly or perhaps the incoming water is just too hot and a replacement will have the same problem. I could not find any specs stating the water has to be limited to a certain temperature. So I'll bite the bullet, get another stem and see if it works. If not I'll just have to change out the fixture. I was hoping to find another type of stem, one that can handle hotter incoming water. Thank you for your help speed ball1. Didn't mean to upset you.
    Eternal Plumber

Feb 3, 2007, 08:42 AM
    I'm not upset perhaps I just didn't understand your problem.
    It's not that the stem can't handle the hotter water. It's that the stem isn't operating properly. When you shake it you should hear a click of moving parts.
    If not then you have a faulty stem. I would try a replacement before you change out the valve. Sorry for the misunderstanding. Tom

Feb 12, 2007, 06:31 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by rich5298
    I can only get hot water from this brand new valve. Yhe only way to get cooler water is to reduce the valve to a point where I get very low flow. Increasing the flow to a satisfactory flow only gives hot water. the water coming in is at 130 degrees F. I can not change the temp of the water coming in.
    I visited Symmons web site and the best recommendation they have is " open valve half way and tap it with a wooden hammer or disassemble and hit stem hard to lossen the balance control device. I did this and there is no change.
    When I have the stem out and in my hand, am I suppose to feel something (balancing device) moving inside when I shake it? This has been going on for a long time and I have been taking baths instead of a shower. Now I have trouble getting into a bath due to hip replacements and I would like to take showers instead.
    Is there another stem which will replace mine without taking the wall apart?
    thank you very much for any help you may offer.
    Stem had a dent in it thus preventing the adjustment of the cold water. Replaced with a new one and it is working fine.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Shower and tub valve set [ 6 Answers ]

After having my last dilemna solved here, I figured it was worth another shot. We are attempting to pick out a shower valve for our shower stall. The one set that we like includes a tub faucet that we don't need as the space has a shower stall only, no tub. My question is... is it possible and...

Symmons shower valve problem [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I put a new shower dial and handle kit on. When removing the old handle the stem snapped. It is a symmons. I went to the plumbing store and got a new one. I put it in and now have no hot water or so little it feels cold. This may sound dumb but my hot water flow in all sinks is low pressure...

Temptrol shower valve leaking from diverter [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 1985 vintage Temptrol shower valve, model A, that is leaking from diverter. When I turn the handle I get a burst of water from the hole where the diverter handle plugs in. I have a parts breakdown list but it looks like a newer model. Can mine be repaired? Thanks

Symmons Temptrol Shower/Tub Handle - [ 1 Answers ]

I printed off the internet the part breakdwon to my tub/shower one-dial Symmons Temtrol kit as I am trying to stop a slow leak out oif the tub faucet. I removed the screw and cap - and I can't get the handle off - is it hyst suppoosed to pull off once the screw is removed? That is how the...

View more questions Search