Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sjp1 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 9, 2006, 02:58 PM
    Toilet empties when different toilet flushed
    Hi, I have a confusing problem.I just installed a new toilet in place of an existing one. The promblem is when I flush the new toto toilet, my other toilet bowl almost completely empties.. The 2 toilets are basically back to back, and use the same vent pipe through the roof.(3 inch copper).No pipes were changed or rearranged and the vent seems to be clear. Anybody ever have similar problem or any suggesstion on what to try next..
    Thanks in advance,

Scott
    dmatos Posts: 204, Reputation: 26

Aug 9, 2006, 03:59 PM
    Is the new toilet a pressure assist or something? It may be that the new one pushes water through the drain much faster, so your vent which "seems to be clear" may not be clear enough. That's guess number 1.

Guess number 2 is that the person who originally put the plumbing in messed up. Do you know how the two toilet drains are plumbed?

Aug 9, 2006, 05:19 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by dmatos
    Is the new toilet a pressure assist or something? It may be that the new one pushes water through the drain much faster, so your vent which "seems to be clear" may not be clear enough. That's guess number 1.

Guess number 2 is that the person who orignally put the plumbing in messed up. Do you know how the two toilet drains are plumbed?
    HI, basically a 3" vent pipe from roof to main sewer pipe in basement. A 3" tee 2 feet above main pipe, each side goes to 1 toilet.. Another drain pipe from double sink hits right below the tee,but that has its own vent pipe.. If that one was clogged would that effect toilets? I have no drainage problems throughout house.. As for the toilet ,not sure if it power assisted (whatever that is) will have to find paperwork.. thanks again
    Scott
    letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

Aug 9, 2006, 09:27 PM
    Flush both back to back commodes at the same time and see if this results in a possible back up. When the line is clogged past the two commodes and you flush one commode it will raise the water level in the second commode and than as the water drains it creates a vacuum in the other commode and make the water level go down.. . this is just an Idea of what might be wrong.
    dmatos Posts: 204, Reputation: 26

Aug 10, 2006, 02:43 PM
    PS - pressure assited toilets have a sealed tank in the back. The water in the tank is at the same pressure as the water coming into the house. If you poked a hole in it, it would spray out like a garden hose. When you flush, the water goes into your bowl much faster because of the pressure, and helps to wash things away.

A normal toilet tank is open at the top (ie, if you take the lid off, you can see the water), so the force of the flush comes from gravity alone.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 11, 2006, 06:20 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by sjp1
    Hi, i have a confusing problem.I just installed a new toilet in place of an existing one. The promblem is when I flush the new toto toilet, my other toilet bowl almost completely empties.. The 2 toilets are basically back to back, and use the same vent pipe through the roof.(3 inch copper).No pipes were changed or rearranged and the vent seems to be clear. Anybody ever have similar problem or any suggesstion on what to try next..
    thanks in advance,

Scott
    Hi Scott,

I waited to see if you had more details to offer us. A toilet bowl lowers its level for reasons. (1) a crack or hole in the bowl or (2) a vacume is produced by a lack of venting and the toilet discharging attempts to vent through the back to back toilet. I opt for door number 2. A 3" vent should handle two toilets even if a pressure assist is one of them.
    I would check, first the vent and next the installation. You say, "the vent seems to be clear." How do you know for a fact that it's clear? Has it been snaked to make sure? Is the other toilet a pressure assist one? Let us know. Regards, Tom

Aug 12, 2006, 02:16 PM
    Hi everyone, thanks for all the info. I figured out my toilet is not power assisted,my vent is clear, and there are no holes in my bowls. I watched from above my vent and when I flush my new toilet the water rushes through the drain and some seems to go up the drain of the other toilet.( It can do this because the drains are directly across each other in the TEE.) Can this be my problem? Would this water be able to create suction in the second bowl? Or,can it be a clog after the toilet drains and in the main sewer pipe? Any Suggestions would be helpful..
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 12, 2006, 02:42 PM
    "I watched from above my vent and when i flush my new toilet the water rushes through the drain and some seems to go up the drain of the other toilet.( It can do this because the drains are directly across each other in the TEE.) Can this be my problem? Would this water be able to create suction in the second bowl?"

Yes. If the water fills up the pipe in the other toilet then when it drains back it will set up a vacume. This will lower the level in the other toilet. (Good job of analyzing the problem.) Now what can we do about it without tearing up your drainage. Perhaps lowering the water level in the new toilets tank will lower the head pressure and volume so it drains instead of going into the other toilet. If there's a double sanitary tee picking up both toilets instead of a double combo,( combination wye and eighth bend) that could very well present a path of least resistance to the discharge and send it into the other toilet.

"can it be a clog after the toilet drains and in the main sewer pipe?"

The clog would have to be close to the double tee. A clog in a vertical stack is doubtful.

You have a interesting problem. Please keep me in the loop. Regards, Tom
    Firm1Tom Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 4, 2009, 06:03 PM
    I also have the same problem of one toilet draining when another is flushed.
    I have thee toilets in the house.
    They worked great.
    I decided after 30 years of use to upgrade from the 5 gallon per flush toilets to the 1.6 gallon per flush model.
    Two months ago I installed the fist 2 .
    They worked great the 3rd old one also worked great.
    Last week I installed the 3rd new 1.6 model (all the same well known brand and model # from Home D--.
    Now the 3rd toilet losses water each time any of the other 2 are flushed.
    This does not happen with #1 or #2 toilet just the last one.
    It also never happened with the old #3 when the other toilets were flushed.
    I went on the roof and stuck a hose to the bottom in each of the 5 --2" diameter vents.
    I let the water run in each for 10 minutes and went inside to hear water flowing in each of them.
    I flushed all 3 toilets and let them fill.
    We left for 4 days and after returning home checked all 3 and the water level was normal in all 3.
    Flushed #1 and watched #3 go down 1"
    Flushed #2 and #3 went down another 1"
    # 2 and #3 are back to back and 2 feet apart
    # 1 is 30 feet away.
    Im stumped and would appreciate any suggestions
    Thank you
    Tom
    cpersyn Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 23, 2012, 04:25 PM
    Did anyone ever find a solution to this problem? I'm having the same issue at my condominium. Whenever I flush, my neighbors toilet empties. But when he flushes, mine doesn't. We both installed new toilets around the same time, neither one is a pressure assisted toilet. Any ideas?
    Fiendwithout Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 29, 2012, 03:32 PM
    Dude your toilets are on a "cross" or a lowercase tee and your new toilet is flushing with so much power it's trying to siphon the water from the bowl of the toilet not being flushed. New toilets such as the American Standard "Champion" and Toto "Drake" have 3" flappers or flush valves and they flush that 1.6 gallons of water with a lot of force and energy. At the same time inside the bowl they hold so little water in the trap it's even easier to siphon the water. You have to hire a plumber go under and replace that cross or tee fitting with a double wye or stack two regular tees (not a cross but just a tee). Don't let anyone tell you "A double wye is going to cut off the vent to the toilet!! " A toilet is a self siphoning fixture and doesn't even require a vent.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Sep 29, 2012, 06:41 PM
    [QUOTE=Fiendwithout;3285213]Dude your toilets are on a "cross" or a lowercase tee and your new toilet is flushing with so much power it's trying to siphon the water from the bowl of the toilet not being flushed. New toilets such as the American Standard "Champion" and Toto "Drake" have 3" flappers or flush valves and they flush that 1.6 gallons of water with a lot of force and energy. At the same time inside the bowl they hold so little water in the trap it's even easier to siphon the water. You have to hire a plumber go under and replace that cross or tee fitting with a double wye or stack two regular tees (not a cross but just a tee). Don't let anyone tell you "A double wye is going to cut off the vent to the toilet!! " A toilet is a self siphoning fixture and doesn't even require a vent.[/QUOTE

Did you realize that this question was asked 6 years ago?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Toilet bubbles when washing machine empties [ 13 Answers ]

When my washing machine empties into the washtub, the nearby toilet has recently (about the past four - five months) started to have big air bubbles come out of the toilet bowl, making a very loud bwoop bwoop bwoop sound. The bubbles are so large that they actually cause water to splash on the...

HELP! Air bubbles coming from toilet... overflow on flush, occasionally empties and... [ 10 Answers ]

Hi, I am in a modern condomiunim. My unit is next to the laundry room (wondering if that's relevant due to the washers). Occasionally, the toilet gets air bubbles for about a minute. If I try to flush during this period, the toilet just overflows and the water doesn't empty. I tried using a...

Water rushes up when the toilet is flushed into another toilet [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 2 storey layout house. The guest restroom on the ground floor is exactly below the Jack and Jill Washroom of the top floor. It looks in both the restrooms the toilets share the pipe line The problem is when someone goes to restroom on the ground floor , the top floor toilet gets...

Toilet bowl empties itself [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, Just discovered your site and here's my puzzle to start! Been in this house 6 months. its @20-25 yrs old on city sewer system, 3 bathrooms (1 in the basement). This problem started after a weekend with lots of family here. The master bathroom toilet bowl empties the water within @5 minutes of...

Tub drain gurgles when toilet flushed [ 1 Answers ]

When I flush the toilet, the bathtub drain makes a gurgling noise. There is not any water coming into the tub, but is the sign of a future problem?

View more questions Search