Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pd1008 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Feb 4, 2010, 11:58 PM
    Finding my father/family.
    How do I find my father/family from a photograph.What I know is am a warbabe born in 1946 in U.K.I have this photo from my mothers possessions,she told one person that it is a photo of my father.What I have found out and from the info on the back of photo is,he was in Palestine as an Observer in 1948 (date on back of photo Jan 4 49.)He is wearing a U.N.ribbon on chest.He is not an officer,not wearing officers lapel badges.There is a name and address on back,LaVerne Howe (could be Howell or Howey,faded)Rt3 Morgan Cy Ky.Have had the picture and my letter printed in the Morgan Cy Ky Courier,no replies.Also on back is Mary L Howell (or similar) and Bessie l. Hendrix.I found a family tree on ancestry .com with Mary LaVerne Howell from Ky,they is no reply from the tree owner.I have a list of recipients of the U.N. medal from the U.N.archives with 452 names on it.By removing the officers there are 152 names left.So does anyone have some good ideas in identifying my father from the picture?
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Feb 5, 2010, 05:35 PM

Are you still in the UK or are you in the U.S.

Feb 6, 2010, 08:29 AM

Neither,I have been in B.C. Canada for almost 42 years,
    Paul.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Feb 6, 2010, 08:43 AM

That's a start. When you went from UK to Canada was there any paperwork involved? Like for immigration? It may be the start for your journey. It should have the birth father listed on there somewhere. Was your mother married to your father? If your mother has passed there should be a deatch certificate onfile and that would show her relatives that may know more about something for you. At least it could give you some kind of a target to aim at. As far as the Kentucky connection. There should be census records around. Your biggest problem is trying to create the connection to the names you already have so you have a jumping point. Also do you know or have you heard stories of your dad being in the military? Once you have a name you may be able to contact them and get a last address or a veterens administration for records.

Feb 7, 2010, 10:27 AM
    Hello and thanks.most all of what you are saying has been worked on.Whom I knew as father came to Canada in 1966,that is when he split from mother.I came to Canada in 1968.Things came to light in 1991 when father died from cancer.A few months after his death I received a call from the University of B.C. here.They told me my father had died from a very unusual form of cancer and wanted to know where he had been in his lifetime.I called my Uncle Eric in Newcastle,England fathers brother.When I was telling him what the U.B.C. wanted to know,he immediately said.Paul,don't you know.Len is not your father.After I got up off the floor,I called my mother in Wales.I just said I was talking to Uncle Eric and she immediately said,your father and I both decided we would not tell you.I questioned mother for many years and only got lies from her.After she passed away,my ex wife came forward and told me where to find the photograph,the only thing I have I have.Lookslike I am out of space.

Feb 7, 2010, 10:52 AM
    My adoption files have been lost by the authorities so I cannot get any info from them,as I was saying in the last reply,mother told my exwife and showed her the photo and said it was my father.Mother worked at an U.S.base just outside Cardiff,It was Castleton, Monmouth.I am a member of GI Trace a U.K.group.Through them I am in touch with N.P.Records in St.Louis.The Castleton base was not in existence when I would have been conceived in May 1945.I have recently written to N.P.Records again asking for the morning reports for,Newport Monmouth,Barry Glamorgan and Claes Farm in Glamorgan and I also asked for the last morning reports that are available from Castleton.I do not have a name to work with,I thought LaVerne Howe wasthe name for a while,found the only one in the WW2 in Illinois,talked to his nephew and have seen his picture it is definitely not him.As LaVerne is a male or female name,I now think that is a woman.So the question still is,"How to identify a man from a photograph"
    Many thanks
    Paul

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Finding an old case and family member [ 6 Answers ]

I am trying to find an old case which involves my boyfriends ex and daughter. For child support how can I find information so he can try to see his daughter?

Finding family [ 1 Answers ]

I have been wanting to find my fathers side of the family for a couple of years now. Every time I ask him about my brothers, sisters, nieces etc he changes the subject. I spoke to my mum about this & she said he didn't want me to know about them. I don't understand why. I have found out a couple of...

Finding my Father [ 4 Answers ]

I am trying to find my dad that I have not seen since I was 2 years old. I met him once when I was 16 to ask a whole bunch of questions and he is homeless I think. I just need help finding him so that I can help him get back on his feet. I live in New Hampshire and I think he does to somewhere. His...

Finding top lawyers for family court [ 2 Answers ]

I am looking for a list of the Top family court lawyers in Nova Scotia and New brunswick. If anyone could help me out by listing a few I would apprechate it

Finding ronalds global family tree [ 3 Answers ]

Am trying to get to this particular family tree. www.gencircles.com/globaltree

View more questions Search