Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cherylalex Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 11, 2010, 07:28 AM
    For about a week, I have been noticing a faint hair spray smell in our home.
    We don't use hair spray. The one thing that has changed lately (about a week ago) is that we are occasionally burning some ventless propane gas logs and we had some cabinets installed (about 5 weeks ago) in a library with a lacquer based paint. The pilot for the logs is burning continually. We have a propane tankless water heater. Our home was purchased new and is almost 1 year old now. Since we purchased the home I have noticed a faint mildew smell in the upstairs master bath where the sink top attaches to the base cabinets, but have never been able to determine where/why there is a smell there--nothing is visible to the eye. I am wondering if the smell is associated with a propane leak or possible mildew problem. Thank you very much for your help!
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Nov 11, 2010, 04:50 PM
    I think you are smelling a byproduct of the lacquer based paint and the ventless logs. Remember, these logs, great as they are, only consume room air and don't vent any byproducts. Make sure the logs are exactly where they should be, the metal card that came with them shows the correct placement. The flame should never touch any part of the logs. As far as the mildew smell, if you don't see any mildew, the walls are dry, not sure it is mildew. Any loose coupling nuts on the traps?
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Nov 12, 2010, 12:31 AM
    Hi, cherylalex!

You might also want to have a professional come out to test for any leaks or sources to what you have been smelling. That would be the best thing to do in case what you're smelling might be toxic if inhaled.

Thanks!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Faint natural gas smell [ 13 Answers ]

I have natural gas heat (nothing else, just heat). Every now and then I'll smell the faint oder of natural gas for just a few seconds, then it's gone. I only smell it when I'm sitting at my desk which happens to be above the furnace under the house. There is a loose baseboard with a slight draft...

Wine / Hair Spray smell in entryway? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, Our house has a strange smell that is only present in the entryway to the house. When you step in the front door, there is roughly a 10 x 10 area that smells like either hair spray or red wine. I've dealt with mold in previous houses/apartments, and this doesn't smell like anything I've...

Why do I smell a burning/smokey smell in our non-smoking home/no fire-place home? [ 1 Answers ]

We do not smoke or have a fire place in our home. We have hot water- baseboard heat fueled by oil with a flute which exits out the basement wall from the boiler. We have had a burning, smokey smell over the last several weeks. We replaced the exhaust fan to the flute. No improvement in odor. ...

How do I get sun in spray hair dye out of my hair [ 2 Answers ]

How do I get sun in spray hair dye out of my hair

View more questions Search