Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    KELLY0281 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 24, 2008, 12:23 PM
    401K and home purchasing
    I am moving to a different town, so I need to make a decision about my 401K with the company I work for... I would like to use the money (about $10,000) for purchase of a new home. Is there any way to do this without paying penalties or big taxes? Or do I just need to roll this investment into my husbands' existing retirement program in order to avoid any penalties? We don't have any reserve savings to use as down payment or extra monies that may be needed in home purchase. Thanks, Me
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 24, 2008, 12:26 PM
    Nope, nor is this a good idea. You will lose at least 30% of that $10K, not worth it in my mind. You can't roll it over into your husband's retirement. You will need to roll it over into your own IRA or you new company's plan.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 24, 2008, 12:46 PM
    Please don't keep posting the same question. If you have a follow-up just add a reply to this thread.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Relinqhishing home and purchasing another during bankruptcy [ 4 Answers ]

I am trying to find out some info. We filed for bankkruptcy with the new laws. Our house payments in chapter 13 are over 920.00. We've had this loan for 5 years and have paid in 50,000.oo in interest during this time. We had a prior loan for the 9 years prior and all tha was interest too. We still...

Purchasing a new Home then BK [ 2 Answers ]

BASIC HISTORY: I live in Southern California and I am one of the "fortunate" one that is in the current mortgage ARM crisis. December 2008 my "fixed rate" ARM will then go adjustable. My mortgage is $3400.00/month - not including taxes or insurance. Houses in my area have been on the market for 8...

Purchasing a home for cash [ 1 Answers ]

I know how a home is purchase with a mortgage. What is the process when a home is not financed, but purchased with cash?

Eviction for not Purchasing a home [ 4 Answers ]

I signed a 2 year lease contract with an option to buy. It has now been 1 year and the landlord wants me to purchase the property. I said no. Now I have been served with an eviction letter because of a breech of contract ( I paid the rent 3 days late 1 time). I need to know if I should get a...

Purchasing a home [ 2 Answers ]

How do I purchase a very expensive home by paying the back taxes ONLY?

View more questions Search