Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mekran12 Posts: 22, Reputation: 1

Feb 6, 2005, 01:35 PM
    Serial Mouse Detection Problems
    I recently formatted and upgraded a Pentium I Gateway Computer to Windows 98. I attached a serial mouse to it-but I keep getting this error message that tells me no mouse is dectected. I must either restart if I have a PS/2 mouse or I may safely attach a serial mouse then. The mouse is already attached at startup. I know the mouse works because I tried it on my Windows XP PC-it detected it with no problem. I don't have the disk with this mouse. Any ideas? :(
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Feb 7, 2005, 08:44 AM
    Are you comfortable going into the BIOS? You could check there to make sure that your com ports and serial ports are all enabled.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Feb 7, 2005, 08:49 AM
    Serial Mouse
    Hi,
    I really don't know why, but a Serial Mouse is not really used that much.
    Most computer retail/repair stores have literally boxes of them to give away.
    You might not be able to make this mouse work.
    Get one that has the small round plug-in, to plug into the Mouse port at the back of the computer.
    They only cost about $10.
    Best of luck,
    fredg
    Nez Posts: 557, Reputation: 51

Feb 7, 2005, 03:47 PM
    Have a look at http://cutemouse.sourceforge.net/

It might be worth a look.The suggestions both offered by NeedKarma and Fred are valid points however.I have'nt seen a serial mouse for years.

All the best,
    Nez.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 14, 2005, 08:20 AM
    If you still want to get the serial rodent to work, you might look at the com port. Generally a PC has 2 serial ports which each use 2 comports. Physical port A(1) uses Com ports 1 & 3, the other 2 & 4. Most likely your problem has to do with a conflict between one other device using the same Com port or an incorrectly selected port. Your mouse may be set for Com 2, but the system is looking for it on Com 1

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

New mouse problems [ 1 Answers ]

I'm trying to install a new wireless optical mouse. My computer recognizes it in the usb port, says device is working properly, however I cannot get the mouse to work.the old mouse still works. What do I need to do?

Mouse problems [ 4 Answers ]

How do I clean my mouse?

Serial Numbering of Records [ 4 Answers ]

I have a query based on a table with the fields such as firstname and lastname. I am running a report which list down all the records. But I want to print a row number / serial number as first column in the report. Sample SL. No. FirstName LastName 1. Sam ...

View more questions Search