Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cazjo Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 3, 2006, 05:48 AM
    Washing machine draining into kitchen sink
    Hello

I know it may seem like this question has been covered a zillion times but here we go again...

I live in a block of flats, only 10 storeys high and I live in the penthouse suite (NOT!) - on top floor basically.

Just acquired a new Hoover VisionHD washing machine which has been plumbed under the kitchen sink. Problem is, when the machine is draining my sink overflows - could it be that the plumbing connection is in the wrong place or perhaps there's a blockage somewhere along the line?

I know when you live in flats water pressures and the like can be an issue, epsecially where installation of showers are concerned and where/how high your water tank is located, so wonder if there is a deeper underlying problem as I do live on the top floor??

Any insight or remedies would be greatly appreciately.

PS. I have attached a pic of the connection under the sink. The washing machine is the grey hose connection.

Regards

Cazjo :)
    Attached Images

speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 3, 2006, 06:56 AM
    "I know when you live in flats water pressures and the like can be an issue, epsecially where installation of showers are concerned and where/how high your water tank is located, so wonder if there is a deeper underlying problem as I do live on the top floor???"

Water pressure has nothing to do with the problem you have. I'm getting a lot of complaints about new washers overflowing. This can be attributed to the stronger more forcible pumps in the newer machines.

One of two things are happening here. (1) The discharge line from the washer is connected too close to the sink outlet and the pump will pump the drain line full and then back up into the sink, or-- (2) you have a partial blockage in the sink drain line causing a backup. Another contributing factor could be that your sink drainage is only 1 1/2" instead of 2" thus cutting down on the volume the drain can handle.
    If I were faced with this problem I would get something to seal off the sink drain while I washed clothes. That would force the washer discharge back down through the trap.
    Good luck, Tom
    cazjo Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 3, 2006, 10:49 AM
    Hi Tom

Thank you very much for your kind response :-)

Firstly, I must point out that my reference to water pressure was not in connection with the problem with my washer but more so because I live in a flat, as opposed to a house, where drains and pipes are not so readily accessible.

Anyway, I did wonder whether the connection was too close to the sink outlet but, as you can see from the picture, there wasn't really any other space for me to connect it. In the event there is a partial blockage in the sink drain line causing a back up, I'll definitely have to call someone in as that may be out of my remit, especially if it requires more than just pouring a solution down the drain to try and free any build up, or simply plunging.

Have you any ideas as to how I could possibly try to get something to seal off the sink drain in the hope of forcing the washer discharge back down? I did put the plug in but the water pushed it out in no time and when I held it down, as expected, it just came out of the overflow outlet, lol.

Thanks again Tom.

Cazjo
    newseneus Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 16, 2012, 04:51 PM
    I would NOT try and block the sink. It sounds like a good idea, but washers should have a standpipe with an air gap. In other words it should not be completely sealed (if it is sealed then you have a big problem). Closing or temporally blocking the kitchen sink drain/s would push it back through the standpipe, leading to an overflow there (which doesn't have anything to catch the water, unlike what your sink is doing right now). The reason for the back up is the amount of water trying to be forced down your waste pipe. The pipes are too small to handle a washing machines amount all at once. This is why they usually are in the basement sink tub. Your pipes aren't clogged, the water is going down at a good rate given the quantity/rate. The only real option is to use 4" pipe for about 8' to your drain (this can include the standpipe). That could hold most HE washers' water amount. I doubt you have at least 5' to travel (3' for the standpipe), so I'd just leave it as is and have the kitchen sink act as your overflow reservoir.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Feb 16, 2012, 05:13 PM
    Hi newsenelus and Welcome to The Plumbing Page. At AskMeHelpDesk.com. You're responding to a 6 year old dead thread. Look in then upper left hand corner of the first post form the date before you post, Thanks, Tom
    Handyman2007 Posts: 988, Reputation: 73

Jan 30, 2013, 05:34 PM
    Gee, I wonder if it got taken care of? After all, It's been 6 years??

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Washing machine draining into sink! [ 2 Answers ]

When I run my waher, the kitchen sink fills up with soapy water! It does not overflow but almost! My washer is obviously not draining correctly! Please help!

Want to put washing machine in kitchen [ 2 Answers ]

I would like to put a stackable washing machine in my kitchen. From a purely plumbing standpoint how feasible is it to hire a plumber to place hookups in my kitchen for a regular clothes washing machine. Is this something that is reasonable to do in most cases? How much is it likely to cost in...

Laundry tub; washing machine sink [ 3 Answers ]

The sink in which the tubing from our washing machine is clogged. It has been for days. What can I use to unclog it. I've been unable to do any laundry, since the water continues to back up. I'd prefer to use something environmentally friendly, and something that will prevent the sink from...

Washing Machine emptying out in the kitchen sink and bath tub [ 1 Answers ]

We bought a 96 year old house a few months ago. Every time the washing machine is emptying out water comes up in the kitchen sink and the bath tub with a strong sewage smell. The sink in the bathroom also has a strong sewage smell every time you run the water in it. There is a crawlspace...

Kitchen Sink Gurgles with Shower or Washing Machine Use [ 2 Answers ]

A plumber who came by to unclog a sink told the tenant that it was the septic (the house actually has a cesspool, not a septic tank). Unfortunately, I wasn't there to ask any follow-up questions. I'm wondering, is it possible this is a partially blocked main line out to the cesspool? Could it be...

View more questions Search