Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    newlablover Posts: 120, Reputation: 10

May 25, 2008, 08:59 AM
    IQ test results
    My 6 year old is going into 1st grade in the fall and is currently in the gifted program in our old town. We just moved and she had to be tested to get into the school here. Well the school she id currently in had just tested her and the results for her tests were: IQ 121, Math 76 and english 98, at the other school they were IQ105, math 58, and English 99. How can one school have such discrepancies friom the other? Im not understanding this and now they won't let her into the program for next year unless I pay $60 to have a psychologist test her, which right now with the economy the way it is, I just don't have the extra money to do so. What's my next step?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

May 25, 2008, 09:10 AM
    There are several different tests used for this, an example of one is the Brigance Test.

The differing results may have to do with which test was used.
    newlablover Posts: 120, Reputation: 10

May 26, 2008, 09:39 AM
    I don't understand how they could get such differing results no matter what test they do. I thought an IQ test was an IQ test was an IQ test.. you know?
    linnealand Posts: 1,088, Reputation: 216
    Ultra Member

Jun 13, 2008, 11:38 PM
    Believe it or not, there are many different iq tests out there. Generally, the score is judged in relation to each type of test. Do a wiki search on iq and iq tests. There's a lot of information there that can help you to understand what I mean.

If the tests your daughter took were the same, it could mean that she was tired or distracted on the day of the lower scoring test.

The good news is that an individual cannot accidentally score higher than his or her intelligence. They can, however, score lower on a given day (or even days) if they're not in optimum shape mentally and physically. This means that your daughter's iq is probably her highest score, not her lowest.

One more thing. When I was a child, I was in the gifted program at my school. Ny state public schools determined who would be in the gifted program according to students' scores on the Iowas. Every year, except for one, I wound up in the 99th percentile. In 2nd grade, however, I ate candy during the entire test, and I wound up with a score of 76. Because of my past record, my parents were able to convince the school to keep me in the program. Needless to say, I wound up in the 99th percentile in all of the following years.

I benefited tremendously from our gifted programs. They gave me enormous confidence in myself. I would advise you to do whatever you can to get her in. in the end, if you don't have any other choice, maybe 60 bucks isn't impossible to make up down the road.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Drug Test Results [ 5 Answers ]

Hi everyone! :D I'm not sure if this is in the right spot to post this so forgive me if it isn't. I have applied for a job and it is mandatory to take a drug test, although I don't do any drugs myself I am constantly around people who do. The people I live with smoke pot everyday, that doesn't...

Pregnet test results [ 4 Answers ]

I need to know if I take 2 home pregnet test and the results are positive but when I got to the doctor and take there test and it comes back negative what does that mean? Am I pregnet or not?

Test results [ 1 Answers ]

I smoked pot like two weeks ago, and I have to take a test how do I make sure that it doesn't show?:( I really don't want to get caught!

Test results confussion! [ 4 Answers ]

I've just done a pregnancy test but the line to say whether or not your pregs is really faint does this mean I'm pregnant or not I'm really confussed. If I am pregnant then I would be 2 weeks?? :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Blood Test Results [ 3 Answers ]

How can a blood test result for ANA be positive for 10 or more years and then become negative for the last year?

View more questions Search