G
    O
    x2
    B
    W
    R
    T

Directions for the new 3100 addresses everything except the "T"

Does anyone know where the "T" wire for the Trane goes on the HW?

thank you,

(Doingitmyself) dimonthecoast
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Feb 8, 2009, 09:24 AM
    You will not use the T just tape it off. That trane is a old Bay ge thermostat.
    dimonthecoast Posts: 28, Reputation: 3

Feb 8, 2009, 10:12 AM

God bless you darlin' - I'll be back if it doesn't work - I'm just glad the weather is warm this weekend!

Feb 8, 2009, 12:12 PM
    Okay - followed the HW directions - it stated that if the old tstat had both "O" and "B" wires (which mine does) to attach the "B" wire to the "C" terminal, which I did.

It's not working.. .

Feb 8, 2009, 02:11 PM
    Did you follow the wire layout as on page 12 of the Honeywell manual Exactly? Have you checked to make sure all power is on the inside/outside unit? Have you checked to make sure you have 24 volts at the thermostat?

Feb 8, 2009, 07:33 PM

I did everything on the HW manual exactly (including using those little white labels), all the power was restored, don't have a volt meter - amateur! Guess I'll have to call the heat and ac guy! I didn't need that $100 bucks after all.

Feb 8, 2009, 09:07 PM
    Many times it ends up that way. Without being there my hands are tied to the manual and any old tricks I remember. Here is a older cross over diagram that shows Trane and the GE bay stat. You might look this over to see if any help.
    Attached Images
  1. File Type: pdf heat pump wiring.pdf (13.3 KB, 293 views)

Feb 9, 2009, 07:14 AM

I found that diagram on an earlier thread - it matches what I've done.

I did notice on the old weathertron a saudered link to a "u" from the "w" wire. It wasn't rigged after the fact, but actually part of the manufactured board.

The heat/ac fella comes tomorrow morning - cold weather comes through Wednesday!

Feb 9, 2009, 07:14 AM
    Thanks for everything

Feb 10, 2009, 08:34 AM

HVAC1000 - Heat/ac contractor just left - the problem? Seems the builder "wedgeded" my main wire in the wall between the stud and the supporting 2x4 at JUST the place I screwed the new face plate in. The screw penetrated the insulation on the wire and shorted it. $113.96 later and it's fixed.

You may want to put that in your "what's wrong when I've done everything right" file.

Feb 10, 2009, 09:15 AM
    The screw in the wire things I just cannot see from here. I am glad at least the wiring was on the thermostat correctly. I will add the screw in the wire thing to my possible solutions.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Replacing Weathertron thermostat to a Honeywell RTH3100C [ 3 Answers ]

:confused: I am attempting to replace our Weathertron thermostat with a Honeywell RTH3100C. We have a Trane heatpump system. I am having trouble with the wiring. My wires don't match the 'less common wire designations' in the manual. I have the following wires on the Weathertron: R-red T-brown...

Replacing Trane Baystat240 with Honeywell RTH3100c [ 3 Answers ]

I have recently acquired a residence that had a much older HA/C unit. The thermostat is a TRANE Baystat240 (3AAT80B1A1). Up till now it worked well. Recently both the heat and air were blowing at the same time. Go figure! LOL. I have recently attempted to replace the thermostat with a Honeywell...

View more questions Search