Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jude andrew Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 29, 2008, 06:54 AM
    opportunity cost
    1. Which of the following is an opportunity cost of the activity in question and which is not? – Explain.
    [Each correct answer: 2 marks, each correct explanation 2 marks. Total 4 marks each. If the explanation is inconsistent with the answer: 0 mark]

a. A person decides spend all her time as a full time student. To do this, she has to quit her job, in which she earned £20,000 a year. – opportunity cost = £ 20,000 a year

b. Bill Gates realises he has a flat tyre and decides to spend one hour in changing it in order to save the £10 that the expert in flat tyres would have charged for the same job – opportunity cost = 0, he does not pay anything for changing the tyre.

c. A boy has just had dinner with his beautiful girlfriend in her house. She has a dishwasher, but the boy insists in washing the dishes. – Opportunity cost = the detergent he uses for washing the dishes.

d. A country decides to subsidise the production of sugar. In order to get money for that subsidy, they cut the health budget in £100 million – Opportunity cost = the sum of the alternative things they could have been able to do with the £100 million.

2. Which of the following data sets would be a time series and which of the following would relate to a cross section?
    [1 mark per correct answer]

a. Average of households’ expenditure for the UK, annually from 1990 to 2005.
    b. Unemployment rate in 2004, for all European countries.
    c. Households’ expenditure in health services in India in urban areas in 2004.
    d. Monthly price index for wheat in 2003.
    e. The maximum of firms’ per year expenditure on Research and Development in Morocco from 2000 to 2006.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Oct 29, 2008, 07:10 AM

Jude: We're not going to do your homework for you. I suggest you tell us what you think the answers are and why, and then I'm sure someone will help you out.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

PPF - Graphing and Opportunity Cost [ 0 Answers ]

My answers and the question is in the following picture. In the first graph, my answer is a shift to the left. In the second graph, my answer is the red dot near the x-axis. My question to you is, "Can you please check my answers if they are correct?"

Opportunity cost vs relevant cost [ 2 Answers ]

I am confused between the two costs, opportunity cost and relevant cost. What's the relation between them and difference from each ? Can someone help to explain it? Thx.

View more questions Search