Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    zix Posts: 33, Reputation: 1

Apr 15, 2006, 09:11 AM
    Viewing spreadsheets in different views
    I am an intermediate level MS Excel user. I often use my spreadsheet and would like to see different views at the click of a button. By this, lets say I have columns A through Z. I know I can manually MOVE, say columns C, G, L, and P to be the first 4 columns, into position A,B,C,D. And I can then move the new A, B, C, D back to C,G,L,P when I am done.

However, is there something like a "saved view" or "saved display" that I can use as a shortcut to swap the "views" of my data back and forth?
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Apr 15, 2006, 12:53 PM
    Have you trying making a macro for this?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 15, 2006, 02:44 PM
    The way I would do this is to use Separate Worksheets.

I a different sheet enter the following into the first 4 coulmns:

Col A: =Sheet1:C1
    Col B: =Sheet1:G1
    Col C: =Sheet1:L1
    Col D: =Sheet1:P1

When you switch to that sheet you will see the columns in that order.
    StuMegu Posts: 576, Reputation: 64

Apr 16, 2006, 04:11 AM
    Try looking at the group and outline option under the DATA menu. This will let you select a certain number of columns or rows and then "group" them or "ungroup" them. You will see a plus/minus box above the spreadsheet for these rows- clicking it will hide/unhide these rows easily just like the treeview in windows.
    Fergus O'Carroll Posts: 11, Reputation: 2

Apr 17, 2006, 03:52 AM
    If I understand your question properly <you want to view both the original spreadsheet a 2nd spreadsheet with new data ,at the same time >, you can use the "window" tab on your excel file.
    Just click on "Window", the select "Arrange" .You can then view on your screen all the spreadsheets as you have opened ( vertically, horizontally , tiled etc.)You can then swap between files seeing the results of any changes you have made , remember if you have the files linked , changes in one file will be reflected in the other .
    Hope this helps...
    Fergus
    zix Posts: 33, Reputation: 1

Jun 28, 2006, 11:12 PM
    ScottGem, I tried your suggestion above and it did not do anything, meaning it did not "grab" or "capture" the values in sheet 1 and put them into sheet 2. Maybe I am not understanding.
    colbtech Posts: 748, Reputation: 66

Jun 29, 2006, 04:45 AM
    zix, I think this is what ScottGem was explaining.
    Attached Files
  1. File Type: zip Test2.zip (2.5 KB, 70 views)
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 29, 2006, 06:39 AM
    Whoops, looks like I used the wrong character (:) instead of (!) to separate the sheet and cell address. Col's sample has the correct syntax.

Frankly, however, an "intermediate Excel user" should have caught the error and know how to reference cells.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Viewing HTML as it appears online [ 6 Answers ]

Does anybody know a website where I can enter an HTML code and then check how it would appear online? Like, in Dreamweaver, you press F12 and it converts it all into how it would look online. Am I able to do this in Microsoft Word, or is there a webpage where I can enter HTML code, and it'll...

Rights in Viewing Will/Living Trust [ 2 Answers ]

I have a friend (female) that was living with a guy for over a year and between them they had a child. The guy found out that he had cancer so he assured my friend that he would make sure that there was a fund set aside for his daughter. The guy died a week ago. There was no mention in the obituary...

Viewing digital photos on TV [ 2 Answers ]

I want to show my digital photos on TV. Should I get the Microsoft floppy disc viewer or run the TV direct from the computer. I gather the socket is next to that of the monitor / I have two a phono and a multipin job. How would I configure it_ I don-t want to get a CD burner right now ...

View more questions Search