Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sjc83 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 18, 2006, 12:44 AM
    Bottom of bathtub leak
    Hey guys.

While me and my wife were laying in bed we heard a kind of hissing noise. I looked and listened at the tub, and it was coming from underneat the tub. I shut the water off to my home (I live in a trailor) and ran the water out of the bathroom faucet, and the noise went away. So I opened up the access panel that shows underneath the tub. Right where the drain pipe from the tub makes it's first connection toward the sewer/drain line, water was leaking, probably one drop every 5-10 seconds.

Is there some kind of glue/sealant I can apply over the leak, that will plug it?
    Should I get a professional plumber to look at it (expensive)?
    Will the insulation below that the water was leaking on be OK? Or will it form mould? (I live in a trailor remember, the bottom of it is insulated)

Thanks!
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Nov 18, 2006, 07:26 AM
    Our area, (Tampa Bay) has many mobile home factories and back in the 70's I worked as a plumber in them so I'm familiar with the construction. Yes, this is something you mcan do yourself. Pick up a small can of PVC or ABS cement,( you failed to mention the type of drainage pipes you have, This IS a drainage leak right?) and a snall can of primer. DRY THE JOINT OFF,( this is important) and prim the area. Now slather tge glue over the joint until it completely covers the joint. Let it set up and cure before you run water down it. I would pour some bleach over the wet spots in the sub floor to prevent any mold from occurring. Leave it open to dry or use a hair dryer to dry it out.
    Good luck, Tom
    sjc83 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 18, 2006, 10:44 AM
    Thanks!

It is the black plastic pipe, as far as I know that's ABS. It is the drain pipe, yes.

Thank you very much.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Leak from bathtub [ 6 Answers ]

Hi we have a leak onto our ceiling directly below our bathtub. It seems to be from the drain but at a loss of what to do next. It only leaks during a bath or a few minutes into a shower. Any help would be great. Thanks Ed

Bathtub Faucet Leak [ 1 Answers ]

I had this same problem in the summer of 2005. :( After using my shower, I'd cut off the water and the bathtub faucet would either drip slowly or moderately run. Had new washers put on in 2005. Just noticed (Oct 5 or 6 2006), that the same problem is reoccuring. Please verify for me the...

Bathtub Leak [ 2 Answers ]

I need help figuring out what to do with my bathtub drain. It leaks when draining. Water seeps out from the bottom of the tub to the bathroom floor. My house is approximately 35 years old & built on a slab. I've found that if you pull the drain lever up about halfway & let it drain very slowly,...

Ceiling Leak due to Bathtub [ 1 Answers ]

I just recently moved into a brand new house. To date it is only 5 months old. Yesturday for the first time I took a bath in my tub, low and behold I go downstairs into the kitchen to see that my kitchen ceiling now has a hole and water was all over my kitchen floor. I know nothing about plumbling...

Bathtub Leak, No Access Panel [ 2 Answers ]

After many false starts (misdiagnoses from plumbers supplied by our home warranty company), I've pinpointed that our upstairs bathtub leaks when draining from a bath. It will not leak with a shower or if you only put a small amount of water in the tub. I've read the other posts in the forums...

View more questions Search