Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lmland Posts: 81, Reputation: 1

May 13, 2008, 07:06 PM
    88 Chevy has fluctuating idle and extremely low idle turning either direction.
    I have an 88 Chevy pickup. It originally started as a low idle when turning sharp either directing (and sometimes dieing) and evolved into the idle fluctuating up and down when you are straight. I don't notice this when driving, only when idling or turning. I took it to a Chevy dealer, and they said that it was a cracked engine bracket that is causing excessive load on the engine. They also said if the bracket completely broke that the engine would fail to run at all. I am just curious why it would cause a problem when you're straight and not turning. If anyone could help me figure out the problem, that would be great. They maybe right, but I want to be sure because they want 500-700.00 to fix this engine bracket. Thanks.
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

May 14, 2008, 08:16 AM
    If idle speed primarily drops when turning or, for instance, parallel parking, focus on the Power Steering Sensor, which is supposed to increase engine speed (ECU senses additional load).
    lmland Posts: 81, Reputation: 1

May 14, 2008, 12:32 PM
    Yes that is what's happening, but it also happens when I'm for instance just sitting straight as an arrow at a stop light the idle is up and down even then.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

1990 Honda Accord Fluctuating RPM in idle [ 26 Answers ]

I have a 1990 Honda Accord that is fluctuating between 900 and 1400 rpms while idling and after the car has warmed up. What is going on?

93 Honda Del Sol Fluctuating Idle & Stalling [ 5 Answers ]

I have a '93 del Sol SI and for the past few years it's had a very rough idle, bouncing between around 1k rpm and 2.5k when the weather is normal to hot, and occasionally between 2k and 4k rpm when it's cold out or the engine is cold. Lately I've been having a serious stalling problem. Once my...

97 Chevy S-10 heating and idle problem [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 97 Chevy s-10 standard model. Lately it has been overheating where it is pegged on the gage. I wasn't even sure I could get home the other day. What should I do? Also it doesn't idle very well and this has been getting worse lately. I am afraid it is going to quit is traffic and I will be...

My chainsaw won't idle. [ 1 Answers ]

My Craftsman's chainsaw starts but idles at high RPM's and won't idle down. Could this be caused by excessive varnish in the carburetor? Thank you LindsayMowerRepair

View more questions Search