Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    spadman Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 19, 2006, 09:07 AM
    Should I invest in 401K?
    Hello,

I am on a H1B visa and am planning to return back to my country in a couple of years. I have been investing in 401K since my employment.

I would like to know if this investment will be valid or do I just forefeit the money when I leave the country.

If it will be of no use, is there a way that I can collect the money invested during my stay?

Thanks!
    Catseyes Posts: 51, Reputation: 5

Feb 19, 2006, 02:30 PM
    You do not have to forfeit the money, that would suck!
    You can always take money out of your 401. However, if you are not a certain age, there are penalties. But in your case, you want to close it because you move out of the country. Having to pay penalties for closing a 401 depends on your country of origin.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I heard invest in the international market especially paper is it true? [ 3 Answers ]

I heard that VCP Brazilian paper is a worthy investment... something to do with recycling... need a comment on international paper investments especially investments in South American companys...

To invest [ 2 Answers ]

Looking for advice on how to invest in the stock market. I would be investing more like a day trader, buy stocks for a short term and sell them after they make a profit. Any recommendations on what on-line service is better, cost efficient, able to buy/sell stocks rapidly.. Thanks

Invest or pay off mortgage [ 1 Answers ]

Situation Owe 118,000 on mortgage at 5% interest rate on 10 year term. Want to buy a new house that is worth 280,000. Current house will sell for 200,000. Should I pay current mortgage off in the next 3 to 4 years and cut back on investments. Or should I sell now keep investing put new house...

Invest or pay off mortgage [ 2 Answers ]

I am recently widowed and need a little financial advice. After selling my home, I have enough money to pay off my home which I am building. My investment broker told me to invest and use the interest to pay off the monthly house payments and in 15 years I would have the exact amount of money in...

View more questions Search