Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rmholliday44 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 8, 2018, 07:22 AM
    Need help!
    I am currently incarcerated in federal prison. My wife has recently had a baby with another man and is living with him. I need advice on how to proceed with a divorce and what my rights are. I rec'd a letter telling me I am financially responsible for the baby although I had nothing to do with her... lol. I just want to get my stuff and be done with her. Any advice is appreciated.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 8, 2018, 10:03 AM
    Actually in some states, you may be liable for child support, since the child was born while married to her. Legally at this point, the child is yours, although he is not biologically yours.

Divoice is just just anyone's divorce, you would get an attorney, to file divorce papers, depending on your state, request an DNA test. Also if she is asking for child support, she has already filed or claimed a legal separated. (it would appear) depending on who the letter was from and exactly what it said.

There are several dad support groups for fathers rights, you may contact who may assist in the filing. Also unless it has changed, many Federal Prison, have legal library, and you can start research or find one of the other inmates who may be educated on this.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Dec 8, 2018, 01:01 PM
    Is there any possibility that it's your child? You can demand a DNA test and go from there. It's not like you have a check to garnish for child support.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

View more questions Search