Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cwashington Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jan 22, 2006, 10:06 PM
    Beam Restrictions
    I have 2" x 12" beams that make up the upstairs of my condo and was wondering what the furthest distance apart the load bearing walls that support the beams can be.
    skiberger Posts: 562, Reputation: 41

Jan 23, 2006, 06:38 AM
    Depending on the species of wood and if they are on 16" o.c., Dougalas fir:19'-1", Hem-fir:18'-7", Sothern yellow pine: 21'-4", spruce-pine-fir: 17'10"
    This is for #1 grade of these wood species. These spans are rated for attic areas & sleeping areas. (2nd floors)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Restrictions on moving a circuit breaker box? [ 19 Answers ]

I am considering constructing a walk-in closet in what is currently hallway space in my home. One of the walls that would form the interior of the new closet currently holds a circuit breaker box. I don't want to have a circuit breaker in a closet where access could be blocked, so building this...

How big of a beam should I use for a supporting wall? [ 1 Answers ]

Dear Ask Me Help Desk, I am renovating my kitchen (see related threads on water flow and gas lines in plumbing) and need help on calculating the size of a beam for a supporting wall. I live in L-Shaped 2900 square feet 1963-built rancher in Atlanta, GA. The kitchen is on one side of a long run at...

View more questions Search