Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    oneguyinohio Posts: 1,302, Reputation: 196
    Ultra Member

Feb 6, 2008, 11:25 PM
    Don't look my age?
    Today I had someone check my I.D. to see if I was old enough to buy something that I have been old enough to purchase for 23 years!

I'm a bit happy to look so young and hope it is a sign of a long life ahead, but at the same time think I need to look a bit older for people to take me seriously and professionally?

In some ways, I feel insulted when people think I am so young or would be trying to buy something illegally. This kind of thing has happened to me in the past when I was buying lottery tickets!

It's pretty funny actually in thinking back, I was able to purchase any alcohol I wanted at 18, before the laws changed... I didn't even know anything about the 21 age for higher drinks... someone told me later that I had bought underage, but I never got carded back then...

Any thoughts if I should try to look my age or not?
    MasuBhat Posts: 128, Reputation: 3

Feb 7, 2008, 12:20 AM
    I'm a bit happy to look so young and hope it is a sign of a long life ahead}:

Lol!. hope so..
    And this age thinggy.. even mine sis is 18.. but she still looks like 14/13.. and I do tease her still telling her that when she reaches 40 she'll still be looking 30's!. lol..

I feels sad for you.. but there's nothing you can do.. if they want to check you id than let them.. but if you don't want them to check you id thang go to the regular store where you always go... so they'v already checken you id and won't check it no more.. :D..

Hope it helped..
    Aniwai how old do you look?
    oneguyinohio Posts: 1,302, Reputation: 196
    Ultra Member

Feb 7, 2008, 12:36 AM
    Most people guess me in my middle 20's, but today the woman thought I was under 18!

It doesn't bother me very much, I just wonder if I might not be getting some jobs because of it? Other than that, I would think it was funny.

Feb 7, 2008, 12:55 AM
    Job?/even under 18 can get them//.. so don'chu worry///:)

Best wishes,

Feb 7, 2008, 12:56 AM
    Moreoveral yo'r upper 18! And for job they lok at your id so don't get too much annoyed by it./ lol
    Allheart Posts: 1,639, Reputation: 436
    Ultra Member

Feb 7, 2008, 01:38 AM
    Enjoy it! Soon enough the younger ones will begin calling you "Sir".

As far as the stores checking your I.D. depending on what you were buying, they check everyone's. At least that I have seen.

Hubby smokes and they ask for his I.D. and he LOVES it :), he turns 50 in a couple of months.

Enjoy your youthful looks and don't worry about being taken seriously professionally... Once people getting engrossed in a professional setting, they pretty much are concentrating on the topic at hand and what you are contributing to it.

So smile :) and enjoy!
    Moomin Posts: 167, Reputation: 19

Feb 7, 2008, 01:50 AM
    Having worked in a store where I had to check I.D, I know there is a lot at stake if you don't ask and the person is under the legal age! It becomes habit asking people!

I am 24 and still get asked for I.D occasionally!
    HistorianChick Posts: 2,556, Reputation: 825
    Ultra Member

Feb 22, 2008, 12:15 PM
    I know what you mean, OG!

Although, one time, after a particularly rough day at work/inside my head I stopped to buy a nice bottle of wine for dinner... and they didn't card me! It actually made me feel worse! Lol! Who were they to "know" that I wasn't under 21! Sheesh... the nerve of those men!

So, I guess it depends on the situation for me. Some times I really don't mind looking like I'm a minor, but other days, YOU HAD BETTER CARD ME, MISTER!
    Ultra Member

Feb 22, 2008, 12:18 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by HistorianChick
    I know what you mean, OG!

Although, one time, after a particularly rough day at work/inside my head I stopped to buy a nice bottle of wine for dinner.... and they didn't card me! It actually made me feel worse! lol! Who were they to "know" that I wasn't under 21! Sheesh... the nerve of those men!

So, I guess it depends on the situation for me. Some times I really don't mind looking like I'm a minor, but other days, YOU HAD BETTER CARD ME, MISTER!

Oh my... HC... just wait till you are at the store and checking out, and you feel reatlively the same age as the cashier... and then you hear... dunt dun duuuuun...

Have a nice day MAAM ( little snotnoses they are LOL :)
    Ultra Member

Feb 22, 2008, 12:19 PM
    Ma'am... one of the worst, most humbling, mood-wrecking, confidence bursting terms in the English language... and in the South? I do get it all the time.

Yes, its respectful, but Golly Gee! Sometimes you just don't want to hear it! :D
    Ultra Member

Feb 22, 2008, 12:22 PM
    The have the sweetest expresson on there face when they say it... and I feel like saying

Oh go to bed! LOL
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Feb 22, 2008, 12:53 PM
    Wait until some youngun calls you Ma'am for the first time, then you'll be happy that you looked young for this long.:p
    Ultra Member

Feb 22, 2008, 01:00 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Altenweg
    Wait until some youngun calls you Ma'am for the first time, then you'll be happy that you looked young for this long.:p

LOL I loose my breath every time :)
    Pets Expert

Feb 22, 2008, 01:12 PM
    The first time someone called me by my married name I looked around to see if my mother-in-law was standing behind me. I've been Ma'amed a few times, it never fails to make me feel old, I'm only 37, I'm still young, at least young at heart. Darn those twenty something's, wait until they get to be my age.:p
    Ultra Member

Feb 22, 2008, 01:13 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Altenweg
    The first time someone called me by my married name I looked around to see if my mother-in-law was standing behind me. I've been Ma'amed a few times, it never fails to make me feel old, I'm only 37, I'm still young, at least young at heart. Darn those twenty somethings, wait until they get to be my age.:p
    Hey now! I'm 28 and I've gotten Ma'ams before... does that mean I look way too old for my age?

Crud...
    Ultra Member

Feb 22, 2008, 01:16 PM
    Hey now!! I'm 28
    Crud...

GO TO BED!. GO DIRECTLY TO BED... WITHOUT... A SNACK (hee hee)

I'm 44 knocking on 45. ( sure hope it don't answer).

I am trying to think what I called adults.. when I was younger even I didn't know them as Mr. or Mrs... ahhhh memory is the first to go.
    Ultra Member

Feb 22, 2008, 01:19 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Allheart
    GO TO BED!.....GO DIRECTLY TO BED....WITHOUT...A SNACK (hee hee)
    Great... now I want to play Monopoly!

I've been sent to bed and I WANT TO PLAY MONOPOLY!!

(You don't want a caffeinated hissy fit, really!)

Is it 5, yet??
    Pets Expert

Feb 22, 2008, 01:20 PM
    Wow, I'm almost ten years older than you, now I feel ancient. Start digging a hole, apparently I've already got one foot in it. :p

No, you don't look old. I asked someone once, why they called me Ma'am, they claimed that it was a form of respect, that they called ever female, regardless of age, Ma'am. I'm choosing to believe that this is true, even if you are ten they will call you Ma'am. Yep, that's the case, this is the truth, knowone can dispute this.

Besides, you're only as young as you feel. Now why did I bring that up, now I feel the need to take an afternoon nap.;)
    Ultra Member

Feb 22, 2008, 01:21 PM
    Great... now I want to play Monopoly!

I've been sent to bed and I WANT TO PLAY MONOPOLY!!!

(You don't want a caffeinated hissy fit, really!)

Is it 5, yet???

Not yet sweetie... but you are almost there... hang in.
    Pets Expert

Feb 22, 2008, 01:26 PM
    I'm going to try to talk my 5 year old into having an afternoon nap with mommy. Maybe a little warm milk is in order. It's 1:30pm in good old Alberta so I've got a ways to go before bed. I definitely think a 1 hour snooze is called for. Besides, I don't want to get dizzy from lack of sleep, I might break a hip.;)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

When is the best age to. [ 20 Answers ]

When do you think is the best age to start dating? Lol weird question but I'm just asking and I mean like real dating not that puppy dog faking stuff...

When it comes to age. [ 8 Answers ]

Hi, I am a 17 year old girl, and I just met this real nice guy. He gave me his number and we started talking, we are supposed to hangout tomorrow.. he is 24. Is that too old? Help :(

"Dark Age" or "Golden Age" of Human Existence? [ 3 Answers ]

History shows us over and over that all great civilizations eventually come to an end. It stands then that our Civilization (as we know it) will come to an end sometime as well. Do you think the world is slipping into a "Dark Age", or are we about to emerge into a "Golden Age" ? We seem to...

Age [ 1 Answers ]

How old is my furnace model number gmp 125-5 serial number 96108661 81 and my air conditioner carrier model number 38gf104330 serial number 104829?

Age? [ 19 Answers ]

What do you think the boarder line age would be. Like how far apart would you think is okay. Like 1 or 2 or 3 or 4 or 5 years or more.

View more questions Search