Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jeffjnadeau Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Aug 23, 2006, 07:37 AM
    Bankruptcy
    I filed bankruptcy.
    I listed all creditors.
    The trustee had a meeting of creditors.
    My X- husband showed up contesting my having him on the list of creditors (it was not for spousal support, but some common bills)
    The Trustee threw him out as he was not very polite.
    My Bankruptcy was granted and all debtors were advised.

My x-husband has taken me back to family court to contest my being granted bankruptcy.
    The local judge overruled the bankruptcy court and is holding me accountable for every dollar that was relieved through bankruptcy.
    My divorce was over 3 years ago.

Can the judge do this?
    I'm being told no.
    If not, what Bankruptcy law# states that local can't override federal.
    Thanks
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 23, 2006, 03:35 PM
    You need to appeal that decission,

State court over turning a federal court decision.?
    jeffjnadeau Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Aug 23, 2006, 04:11 PM
    Thank you Father;
    I appreciate your good will and common sense thinking.
    I too am a practicing Catholic.
    I attend St. Tim's in Mesa, Arizona.
    Keep up to good work.
    Bless youl
    Jeff
    mr.yet Posts: 1,725, Reputation: 176
    Ultra Member

Aug 23, 2006, 04:20 PM
    If seems as if the state judge overstepped his jurisdication. Fr Cuck is correct appeal the state decision. That court clearly lack subject matter jurisdication in this matter.
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Aug 29, 2006, 11:46 AM
    Was your husband a co-petitioner with you in the bankruptcy motion? If so, then you can't just simply add him even if some of the debts in question are joint debts. In that regard the family court judge was correct. However, the bankruptcy that was granted should still stand and protect you from any attempt on the part of creditors to collect from you, save for any debts that you may have reaffirmed. The family court judge does not have the authority to overturn a bankruptcy that was previously granted to you. However, since your ex-husband wasn't a party to the bankruptcy, those affected creditors with whom you had joint debts can still subjugate against him for the recovery of any monies owed, unless he files his own bankruptcy claim. Speak with an attorney and make sure you fully understand the nature of the ruling issued by the family court judge.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bankruptcy [ 3 Answers ]

:confused: I was recently contacted by a collection agency regarding a debt owed to a school. To clarify, this was not a student loan. My bankrupcty was discharged on August 30th 2005. She stated that it was in their file as being discharged on this date. However, she still insisted on...

Bankruptcy [ 4 Answers ]

Does anyone know what the difference is now that the bankruptcy laws have changed? What exactly has changed that would prevent a person from getting a say... Chapter 7 now as compared to before the law changed. This would be for the state of PA. Thanks for any help.

Bankruptcy [ 2 Answers ]

Can a person file bankruptcy from jail? Can they file on their own(Pro Se)? What county to file in--/the county of imprisonment or where the debts were incurred? Are fines, costs, and restitution dischargable? If someone had power of attorney for the one filing from prison, if possible, could...

Do it yourself bankruptcy [ 2 Answers ]

My husband has become ill and has not worked in 2 years and have been waiting over a year for a disability decision and my credit card is maxed out with a couple of other small debts and I need to declare chap. 7 bankruptcy... I have very little money, I am thinking about ordering an online do it...

Bankruptcy [ 1 Answers ]

Just wondering after a person files chapter 7 bankruptcy even though its on your credit for a very long time, what's the average on being able to obtain loans from banks or other sources?

View more questions Search