Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    DAVE231 Posts: 91, Reputation: 9

Mar 9, 2006, 03:35 PM
    Energy Savings Tax Deduction?
    Hi Atlanta Tax Expert. I'm currently have siding put on my home with an underlayment of R-5 insulation board. The contractor told me that I can get a tax break for up to $500 for any combination of energy efficient windows, insulation and furnaces. He says it is for 2006 only. I've never heard of this and was wondering if you can point me in the right direction to get the details if you are familiar with it. Thanks in advance. You perform a great service to many on this site. Don't know where you find the time, but be assured that it is appreciated. Dave.
    jduke44 Posts: 407, Reputation: 44

Mar 9, 2006, 03:51 PM
    Check out this site.

http://www.energystar.gov/index.cfm?..._tax_credits#2

Atlantataxexpert might be able to give you his expertise on this but in the meant time here is the website.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 9, 2006, 09:18 PM
    Your contractor is correct about the credit.

However, if you can believe the link, your siding does not qualify, because its primary purpose is not conservation, but rather decoration.
    DAVE231 Posts: 91, Reputation: 9

Mar 11, 2006, 03:13 PM
    Thanks for the website jduke44. It's exactly what I was looking for.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

F1 to H1B - Itemized Deduction/ Standard Deduction? [ 17 Answers ]

Dear all, My status in US changed from F1 to H1B in mid Nov 2004. I was on F1 from Sep 2002-Nov 2004. Will I be able to take the standard deduction ? If so will it be under the US-India treaty? Please help. Regards.

Savings deposit [ 3 Answers ]

You deposited $1,000 in a savings account that pays 8 percent interest, compounded quarterly, planning to use it to finish your last year in college. Eighteen months later, you decide to go to the Rocky Mountains to become a ski instructor rather than continue in school, so you close out your...

How Much Savings for Retirement [ 4 Answers ]

A friend is planning on retiring by 50. She asked me how much money she should have in her retirement account in order to retirement. I gave her two scenarios: (1) with a retirement pension and (2) with no pension. So, if she has a pension, I told her she needed enough in her retirement...

Savings? [ 6 Answers ]

Hello all. I'm new here and hope to get some replies. I'm thinking of buying a co-op in NY city. I make about 1000 a week and pay 1000 a mo. In rent, my share, Anyway, what would the cost savings be if any should I buy this apt. The mortgage would be about 1600 a mo. Plus 1000 for fees and taxes...

Standard Deduction Vs itemized Deduction [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I am an Indian citizen. I as on a F1 status till Oct 18th 2004 and then I got converted to a H1B on Oct 18th 2004. I do not pass the standard presence test. Correct me if I am wrong, but I guess I have been able to determine that I am a Non Resident Alien and not a dual-status nonresident...

View more questions Search