Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Bryan Brower Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 25, 2005, 09:13 AM
    Help me with my Drain Pipe
    I had ceramic tile installed in an upstairs bathroom and a laundry room last week. I removed the toilet from upstairs bathroom and a washer and dryer from the laundry room on the main floor prior to installation. I put the toilet back on this week and reconnected the washer and dryer in the laundry room. However, now the drain pipe in my laundry room overflows when water is pumped out from the washing machine. I ran a garden hose down the drain abount 34" to where it bends to remove any obstruction if there was one and I was able to run the water full blast with no problems. I also ran a shop vac down that far to see if I could suck out the problem. However, the washer continues to let water out faster than the drain pipe can handle. It is hard for me to believe anything would have been dropped down the drain pipe as it is half way up the wall. Do you think something my have been dropped down the toilet drain in the upstairs bathroom that may be causing the problem? How do I troubleshoot this one?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jul 25, 2005, 02:36 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryan Brower
    I had ceramic tile installed in an upstairs bathroom and a laundry room last week. I removed the toliet from upstairs bathroom and a washer and dryer from the laundry room on the main floor prior to installation. I put the toliet back on this week and reconnected the washer and dryer in the laundry room. However, now the drain pipe in my laundry room overflows when water is pumped out from the washing machine. I ran a garden hose down the drain abount 34" to where it bends to remove any obstruction if there was one and I was able to run the water full blast with no problems. I also ran a shop vac down that far to see if I could suck out the problem. However, the washer continues to let water out faster than the drain pipe can handle. It is hard for me to believe anything would have been dropped down the drain pipe as it is half way up the wall. Do you think something my have been dropped down the toliet drain in the upstairs bathroom that may be causing the problem? How do I troubleshoot this one?
    Hey Bryan,

You have a partial blockage downstream from the washer. How it got down there I don't know but the only way to address this problem would be to snake out from the washer vent. When we pull a toilet and leave it open we cover the opening so nothing will get into the system. Snake out the washer line and you will have solved your problem. Regards, Tom
    Bryan Brower Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 26, 2005, 06:26 AM
    Thanks, Tom! (Speedball)
    Last night I ran a snake down the washer's drain pipe. I met resistance about 4 foot down. I think it might have been a trap there as I have a sink on the opposite side of the wall in my garage but don't quite understand why if in fact it was. I then went to the basement and opened up the clean out valve and ran the snake up as far as I could 8-10 ft. I'm not sure I ever made it through the actual bend in the pipe although I tried. I followed up by pouring draino down the pipe and let it set for 30 minutes before running the washer on the large load cycle with hot water to flush the pipe out. It drained fine. I think I am back in business.

Thanks Tom!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Drain Pipe Clogged [ 3 Answers ]

We have had trouble with the water emptying completely out of our washing machine. The drain hose goes to a drain pipe behind the washer. We discovered today the the drain pipe itself is partially blocked. We used both a Snake-It auger & commercial strength Drain Out crystals to unblock it but to...

Overflowing drain pipe [ 3 Answers ]

My washing machine drain pipe overflows and at the same time the water overflows into the sink. I just moved into this house.It was built in 1964. I am connected to a sewer system. I have already tried liquid plummer a couple of times . Still having the same problem. All of the other drains are...

Drain pipe leaking [ 3 Answers ]

:confused: under my kitchen I have drain pipes that run to a large pipe that goes down into ground.I have no idea what this called(sorry)where the drain pipe and this large pipeconnect is leaking.How do I repair this?

Shower drain pipe [ 3 Answers ]

Hey Guys , Need some advice. I am remodeling my bathroom, have removed the tub and walls and will install a shower only on the cement pad. The cement around the old drain pipe has never been filled in, which I guess is normal, however I need to extend the pipe to the center of my shower and...

Bathroom sink wall pipe drain pipe [ 2 Answers ]

My house was built in early 70's.. No plastic.. I'm putting in a new sink and had to remove the wall pipe that goes into the wall.. I needed a longer one. It seem where it goes in behind the wall into the plumbing there was some type of gasket as pieces of it fell out when I removed the pipe.. I...

View more questions Search