Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    amy pichardo Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Dec 31, 2012, 11:20 PM
    Is adoption final if the child no longer lives with the adoptive parent
    My fiancée gave up rights to his son when his wife died. The child's maternal aunt adopted him and the child has been living with his maternal granfather for the past 5 years and the adoptive mother does not pay child support and rarely sees the child. Over the last year my fiancée has had frequent visits with the child and the child wants to live with
    Us and we want him with us. He will be 15 in a couple weeks
    And we want him here too. Is there anything we can do.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 1, 2013, 01:35 AM
    The adoption was final when the paper work was signed and the judge signed it.

The ex parent has no legal rights to the child now at all, In fact there is not even visit rights.

The fact that the child lives with a grandparent does not effect the adoption, merely means that the grandparent should have legal guardianship.

And no the aunt, who is not the parent, though adoption, does not have to pay support unless the grandparent files for legal guardianship and support.

There is really nothing that the ex parent can do, if the other parties do not agree to let the child move back.

Jan 1, 2013, 06:22 PM
    15 and want to live with my dad who gave me up for adoption
    I am fifteen and when I was a five my mom died and my aunt adopted me. My dad gave me up because my gpa threathreated back child support. I now live with my gpa and rarely see my adoptive aunt. Almost a year ago I started visiting my dad on a regular basis. I want to live with him since I don't live with my aunt. Is there anything I can do? My aunt and gpa both say no.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Jan 1, 2013, 06:25 PM
    They are right... you can't... when they adopted you... your birth father lost all parental rights to you. Forever. Your dad is the man who adopted you.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 1, 2013, 06:30 PM
    I've merged your two threads. We don't appreciate being told different stories. So which is it? Are you the financee or the daughter?

In any case, if the father agreed to an adoption then he has no legal rights. Unless the aunt who is the legal parent, agrees to living with him, its not going to happen.

Jan 1, 2013, 07:07 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    I've merged your two threads. We don't appreciate being told diferent stories. So which is it? Are you the financee or the daughter?

In any case, if the father agreed to an adoption then he has no legal rights. Unless the aunt who is the legal parent, agrees to living with him, its not going to happen.

I'm sorry I asked a question and it was answered. Then Bran Don asked me to ask so I did.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Child lived with custodial parent now lives with noncustodial parent, what happens to [ 1 Answers ]

The children lived with custodial parent, has moved in with noncustodial parent, what happens with child support? Non custodial parent is thousands of dollars behind on child support and states she does not want child support.

Do I pay child support when the child no longer lives at home? [ 2 Answers ]

I live in Iowa and my 17 year old daughter no longer lives with mom. When does child support end? She has not lived with her for some time now>

When parent fails to maintain contact and support to child. Step parent adoption [ 3 Answers ]

My husband got sole custody of his son at 7 months because at 1 month old his biological mother spiral fractured his left femur and he 2 years old now. Im his step mother and his primary caregiver. I love him more than anything in the world like he was my own child and he calls me mom. I want to...

Child live with cutodial parent, now lives with noncustodial parent child is 18 years [ 1 Answers ]

Child lived with custodial parent, now lives with noncustodial parent, child is 18 years old. What happens to child support?

View more questions Search