Ask
    magprob Posts: 1,877, Reputation: 300
    Ultra Member

Apr 8, 2007, 09:30 AM
    Watch this
    Genetically Engineered Food Alert Coalition: Genetically Krafted, the Movie
    TheSavage Posts: 564, Reputation: 96

Apr 8, 2007, 09:40 AM
    Rather scary isn't it? We are lab animals for the food and drug industries. A lot of my food I grow and can on my own plus I raise a few pigs for the table to cut down on the chemicals I consume, but I still have concerns about pollen drift from the corn crop next door.-- Savage
    Ultra Member

Apr 8, 2007, 06:20 PM
    That pollen drift could hybridize all strains until they are useless. Then every one will have to buy patented corn seed from Monsanto. Things are getting strange!
    ashleysb Posts: 179, Reputation: 39

Apr 11, 2007, 11:05 PM
    What are these genetically engineered substances? The ingredients on the back spelled with fourteen letters? And does anyone have a clue why they are doing this?

Apr 12, 2007, 03:05 AM
    The engineered substances are the vegetables /grain that is used to make your food. They are taking a corn seed and inserting the dna from lets say a clam to make it grow faster -- or be more resistant to bugs etc.

Why are they doing this ? Money /greed / money -- Savage
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Apr 12, 2007, 03:11 AM
    I don't really see a difference between this and selective breeding, which has been used for hundreds of years and nobody has complained about. Some of our cattle breeds that have been created through selective breeding can no longer mate, the breed would not exist if it weren't for human intervention. I see very little difference between this and genetic modification, It's just faster and cross-species now.

Apr 12, 2007, 03:34 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Capuchin
    I don't really see a difference between this and selective breeding, which has been used for hundreds of years and nobody has complained about. Some of our cattle breeds that have been created through selective breeding can no longer mate, the breed would not exist if it weren't for human intervention. I see very little difference between this and genetic modification, It's just faster and cross-species now.
    When they selectively breed cows to lets say produce more milk, Did they cross it with a fish to get the results they wanted?
    My big worry is how do you contain it to save the pure strains. A lot of the seeds they produce are sterile, what's going to happen when they pollinate non altered crops?
    When they have been breeding corn with a organic pesticides in it worms are building up a resistance to the pesticides which will mean the farmers that use it will have to turn to chemicals which = more money for the big cooperations. We are also seeing weeds becoming resistant to the better herbicides due to this. -- Savage
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Apr 12, 2007, 03:37 AM
    Capuchin is right. That is fear mongering, junk science. Much of it comes from the Europeans that American technology has left behind. They can't compete honestly, so are working at denying the world the benefits of the new technology out of their selfish greed.
    Uber Member

Apr 12, 2007, 03:44 AM
    It really is fear mongering, however I'm certain that Americans are doing plenty of fearmongering themselves, It's a very american point of view that you are so far advanced over Europe, I don't really believe that to be the case either :) - Maybe it's the opposite of fearmongering, I believe it's called blowing your own horn. Of course the media in one country is going to try to portray themselves as so far ahead of other countries, especially the american media, national identity is very strong over there. I don't particularly regard it to be true.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Apr 12, 2007, 04:54 AM
    Hello:

Although adding antibiotics to your cows isn't the same thing, it WAS brought to you by the same people, and that didn't turn out so good. I love science, but sometimes I think we leap before we look.

excon
    Ultra Member

Apr 12, 2007, 10:21 AM
    It really is fear mongering, however i'm certain that Americans are doing plenty of fearmongering themselves, It's a very american point of view that you are so far advanced over Europe, I dont really believe that to be the case either :) - Maybe it's the opposite of fearmongering, i believe it's called blowing your own horn. Of course the media in one country is going to try to portray themselves as so far ahead of other countries, especially the american media, national identity is very strong over there. I don't particularly regard it to be true.
    Well, now that we have gotten the America bashing out of the way and told that we are stupid for asking the question, let me ask another question and maybe by some slim chance we will get an answer from someone that is really qualified to answer. Are there any qualified scientist here? My next stupid question is this.
    Could the massive die off the worlds honey bees have something to do with GM plants?
    Ultra Member

Apr 12, 2007, 10:30 AM
    You don't see the difference between selective breeding and DNA Gene splicing? Or cross spiecies gene splicing?
    Uber Member

Apr 12, 2007, 10:46 AM
    Hi, I'm a qualified scientist. Trained in the skills of critical thinking, evidence analysis, etc etc.

I wasn't America bashing, please reread my answer, I called you a proud nation, and was simply defending the Europe bashing, that of course you didn't pick up on.

Of course there is a difference between selective breeding and Gene splicing, but they are just the same technology, and they have the same motivations. Gene splicing is just further along the line.

The bumbebee issue seems to be caused by the destruction of their habitat, not by genetic engineering of crops. Farmers are no longer using hedgerows to define their fields, and these are the habitat that queen bees use to forage and begin their colonies.

Of course I'm not a bumble bee expert or genetic engineer, but I have looked into it as an interest.
    Ultra Member

Apr 12, 2007, 11:07 AM
    I didn't see anyone here bash Europe. I personallt love Europe. If I had my way I would be sitting in Amsterdam this very moment havinf tea. As for the gene splicing just "being further down the line," there are a lot of drastic thing further down the line. We have to know when not to take it further down the line. I don't want to eat GM food. I want what GOD gave us. I don't want strains of food to be patented by Monsanto so I don't, someday have to buy seed from them because their strain rendered my open pollinated strain useless. Whitley Strieber's Unknown Country Just for fun.
    Uber Member

Apr 12, 2007, 11:21 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by labman
    Capuchin is right. That is fear mongering, junk science. Much of it comes from the Europeans that American technology has left behind. They can't compete honestly, so are working at denying the world the benefits of the new technology out of their selfish greed.
    This is american pride at its worst.

As to you wanting to eat what 'God' provided for us, this is entirely my point. 'God' gave us none of the breeds that are here today. Nearly everything that we eat has been manipulated by man to produce faster growing, more profitable food.
    Ultra Member

Apr 12, 2007, 11:41 AM
    That's right, and white bread will kill you. Terrible stuff. Yes, we have come a long way. Better living through science. Give me the bread they ate in the Old Testament.
    Allheart Posts: 1,639, Reputation: 436
    Ultra Member

Apr 12, 2007, 12:22 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by labman

Hi Labman,

I'm sorry, I hope you don't get upset at my asking, and I do not mean any disrespect, but I don't understand what you are saying. Sorry for being thick.

On the surface, this doesn't sound very good. What I mean is, who are "they", that can't compete? I always thought new technology came from all parts of the world, not just America and that we all (meaning the world) share the knowledge. Not feeling my brightest today. Sorry :o
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Apr 12, 2007, 12:56 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by magprob
    OMG. LOL How freaky is this? The storyline of Planet of the Apes and the subsequent sequels to explain how they came to be, may very well come to full fruition if we believe this story. How the heck did you find this?
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Apr 12, 2007, 01:04 PM
    By the way magprob, I own stock in Altria (formerly known as Philip Morris). Yet, I don't buy Kraft Food products simply because I take the time to read labels. If people choose to purchase those products and ignore the garbage listed in the ingredients, well who am I to stop them? Kaching! ;)

Apr 12, 2007, 01:08 PM
    As a side note -- 1 hundred years ago if I tried to breed a higher producing corn -- but made a mistake -- my family might die and a few around me might die if I sold it to them -- but it would be contained to a small area -- now what I grow might be eaten any ware would wide --Savage [ forgot to hit post this morn. ]

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Third Watch ((NY)) [ 7 Answers ]

Hi I have been watching Third Watch the t.v show based in NY for some time now, it's the one with the NYPD, FDNY etc ;) I seem not to be able to find a DVD box set :confused: just out of interest does any one know where one can be found, as it seems not stocked in the UK?? :rolleyes: Any...

I can't watch movies? [ 2 Answers ]

When I first got my laptop I could put a movie in and watch it. Now I tried it again like a month or so later it won't work? It keeps telling me to lower my screen resolution and I did that and it still didn't work. What could be the problem and how can I fix it? Thanks

Montreux watch [ 1 Answers ]

Looking for the cost of a montreux watch received as a gift 5 years ago.

Best movies to watch after a breakup [ 40 Answers ]

Ok, I'll start the list: 1. Good Will Hunting

View more questions Search