Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JayhawkRT Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 31, 2019, 09:25 AM
    Avoiding Capital Gains Tax
    Back in 2010 when I was still in school by father co-signed with me when I was buying my house because I had very little credit history. I still live in the home currently.

Fast forward to today. He just retired last month and sold his dental practice but still owns the building. On January 1, 2020 he is going to be selling the building as well to the new dentist. In order to not pay the capital gains tax, he has to reinvest the money somewhere. He has been toying with the idea of buying my house from me at current value. I would keep the profit from the sale and then I would pay him rent on the house which would be much less than my current mortgage because there would be no interest involved. All in all it seems like a win-win for everyone.

Is this legal to do? And would this work since he is a co-signed on my loan?

Check out some similar questions!

Avoiding Capital Gains other than a 1031 Exchange? [ 0 Answers ]

We are wanting to sell a duplex we own and invest the $ in a different venture. Is there a way to do that through a DIFFERENT type of "exchange"? If we simply sell the property we will pay Capital Gains tax and have $10000 less to invest. Help!

Can short term capital loss offset long term capital gains/ [ 0 Answers ]

I have both short term and long term capital loss carryover, and have recently incurred a substantial long term capital gain. Can I use both the carryovers to offset the long term gain, or only the long term loss carryover? Can carryover capital losses be offset only against the same type (long...

Avoiding Capital Gain Taxes [ 1 Answers ]

I am looking at buying 25% of my mother's property (she is still alive and living in this home). The reason for this purchase is to offset one of my siblings debt and to buy him out of his 25% inheritance of this property upon her death. If I have my mother change ownership of her home to 75% her...

Can short term capital losses offset long term capital gains in the same tax year? [ 1 Answers ]

A friend sold some investment real property this year and had a large long term capital gain. He invested the proceeds in the market and the values are down. If he sells the investments now he will have some short term capital losses. Can he use the STCL to offset the LTCG? He also paid...

Avoiding Capital Gains/Rental properties [ 1 Answers ]

We own a rental property in the same town we live for 25 years. No Mortgage. T avoid Capital Gains, can my husband move into this house on paper for two years to claim it as his primary residence? What does he have to change? Period? Do we have to file sepeately? Any advice would be appreciated.

View more questions Search

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.