Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Rakusin Law Firm Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 11, 2008, 09:57 AM
    Social security disability
    Can the court garnish my social security benefits for alimony in the State of Florida
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 11, 2008, 10:07 AM
    First, please pay more attention to the rules of this site. This was moved from Forum Help which is marked as only for questions about using this site.

SS Benefits are protected from garnshment by unsecured debt. One of the exceptions is child support, but I don't think alimony is an exception.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Mar 11, 2008, 10:59 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Rakusin Law Firm
    Can the court garnish my social security benefits for alimony in the State of Florida

They can be garnished. It's Federal Law, not State, so your residence in Florida doesn't matter. The Law is: " SSI benefits cannot be garnished, while social security disability benefits may only be garnished to enforce child and alimony obligations, pay federal tax and debts owed to the IRS, and pay debts owed to federal agencies.

So, if you owe taxes or IRS penalties, you can have your social security disability benefits garnished. If you have alimony or child support obligations, you can be garnished. If you have a delinquent student loan, your SSD benefits can be garnished. "
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Mar 11, 2008, 11:01 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Rakusin Law Firm

Can't help but notice your screen name - are you actually with the Rakusin Firm? Represented by the firm?

I don't know if they would be happy about you using their name.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Social Security disability [ 5 Answers ]

Hello, My question is when your first denied ss is it faster on the appeal to hire lawyer and Also why does it take so long to get a hearing.R.G.

Social Security Disability [ 10 Answers ]

In 1981 I had a head injury in the U.S. Navy with a 10% disability medical discharge. I suffer from sever and frequent migrains or cluster headaches. This has cost me over 18 jobs since then. I was wondering if I would qualify for SSdisability. Because of the medication I have to take to control...

Social security disability [ 3 Answers ]

I filed for SSI disability several years ago and received it. At the time I didn't know what was wrong with me. I have found out recently that I have lyme disease and the doctor thinks I have had it since I was in 8th grade. That would be over forty years. At the time I filed for SSID I didn't...

Teacher retirement disability and social security disability [ 1 Answers ]

I qualified for both teacher retirement disability and social security disability. I saw the quote (below) but I'm uncertain how or if it also applies to me. "If the disability comes from Social Security, it is tax free. If it comes from your employer, it IS taxable." Also, my son...

View more questions Search