Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Skeffery Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Nov 25, 2016, 06:01 AM
    Is this questionable?
    As a manager you were approached by one of your employee who complained about the excessive use of cell phone texting on the job. You send a message to the individuals letting them know this information was brought to your attention without revealing its source. In the message you asked that if this practice is happening that it be limited to breaks and lunches.

Is it within the manager's right to do this or is this approach questionable?
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Nov 25, 2016, 07:30 AM
    As a manager, my FIRST question, BEFORE contacting individuals, would be to this individual, about how this affects productivity, and efficiency of the workplace. Why even start this whole mess without doing your own homework and evaluate the FACTS?

Is there a policy or rule about texting at work? What's excessive? I think you need more information (FACTS) before you lay a policy in place. Why take the opinion of ONE individual over the opinions of the other individuals involved?

It is for that reason I would question YOUR policy, and actions, on this matter.

Nov 25, 2016, 08:36 AM
    Thank you. This was very helpful.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 25, 2016, 08:38 AM
    It depends on company policy. If there is no printed policy on cell phone use then there should be. If there is the message should remind employees of the policy.

But the may point is that employees should be working while on the job. If they are on the phone for non job related purposes, then they are not doing the work for which they are paid.

Questionable? Not in the least!

Nov 25, 2016, 10:47 AM
    There is a rule regarding using cell phones while on the job. It is not permitted. The complaint was made as a result of those texting not completing their assignments and leaving it behind for the one who made the complaint. There was proof to support this fact.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Nov 25, 2016, 11:15 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Skeffery View Post
    There is a rule regarding using cell phones while on the job. It is not permitted. The complaint was made as a result of those texting not completing their assignments and leaving it behind for the one who made the complaint. There was proof to support this fact.
    Now that FACT does change things.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 25, 2016, 03:18 PM
    Given your follow up info, I would have issued a stronger and sterner message.

We have received information that some employees have been using their cell phones during working periods. This is in direct violation of company policy. It is also affecting productivity. This practice needs to stop immediately or further action will be taken against the offenders.

Nov 25, 2016, 03:39 PM
    Thank you both for your responses. You have been most helpful.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Questionable pain [ 1 Answers ]

About a week ago I started having this horrible stabbing pain on my left side around my ovary it last about 5-10 seconds and is frequent do you possibly know what it is

Questionable executor [ 1 Answers ]

My sister is executor of my mom's estate.Mom had 2 gic's $108,000 & $$107,000 which will mature in Feb 2013 with aprox interest of $10,000 on each upon maturity.Both gic's have both my sisters or me on them.We all had P.O.A when mom got alzeimers and passed on Apr.11.My sister(exec) decided 4 yrs...

Very Questionable? [ 2 Answers ]

I have taken multiple HPT which all have been negative! I had my period in Dec. which 2wks long & very heavy after not having one for 6months. It then came back on for the month of Nov. it was some spotting and not heavy, missed it for January. Belly is bloated and I am feeling flutters, belching,...

Questionable intentions [ 5 Answers ]

Ok guys I'm going through some rough moments with my girlfriend and I need to know if I'm wasting my time or not. This is long I warn you! Let us start with an introduction: My girlfriend broke up with her X about five months ago. He was the typical that cheated on her right under her nose...

View more questions Search