Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Gettys Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 16, 2005, 08:15 AM
    Outside unit runs on.
    My Carrier outside condenser unit continues to run after the residence thermostat has shut down the system and the furnace blower fan is stopped. I suspect a relay failure on this split system. Can I correct this problem myself or should a professional be called?
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jun 16, 2005, 09:34 AM
    Likely you have correctly identified the problem. No big deal to change it for anyone with the sense to shut the power off. Should be a disconnect right at the unit. Might short the hot side of the relay contacts to discharge the big capacitors used in starting the unit. Use the blade of a plastic handled screwdriver to contact the contacts and the frame of the unit. Then remove the relay and take it to an electrical supply place. The more consumer friendly home centers may have them too. 24 volt coils are common. From there, make sure the amps are as high, or higher than on the unit name plate.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Refrigerator runs on and off [ 1 Answers ]

I have an RCA side by side fridge. It runs for an 1 to 1.5 hours shuts down and starts up after 30 minutes or so with out opening the doors . There is no leaks that that I can find. Just replaced the circulation fan inside.Still runs a lot.

Inside fan runs, outside fan runs, but air is not cold [ 8 Answers ]

The inside fan runs and runs, the outside fan on the compressor runs and runs, but only hot air comes out. I sprayed the outside compressor coils with the garden hose to clean them and checked the inside filter. Is there something else I could check? Thanks

Outside fan runs continuously [ 5 Answers ]

This is a very helpful sight and I am hoping someone can give me some advice. I have a fairly new house (5 years old) and I am having some problems with a Carrier unit. At the end of this summer it started tripping the breaker on very hot days and we called a technician whom found nothing wrong. ...

My furnace runs all day [ 3 Answers ]

The burners fire for a minute or two at most then turn off for a minute or two. This repeats all day and it won't get above 64f in the house.

Cpu runs but will not start up [ 15 Answers ]

My cpu will not show a light on the power button but the cd drawers will light up. The monitor light comes on but nothing comes on the screen. I can hear the fan running, and have checked the connections from the cpu to the power outlets. I haven't gone into the cpu tower. Please offer...

View more questions Search