Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    MShaf23783 Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Aug 18, 2006, 03:15 PM
    Laundry Sink Vent
    I would like to place a laundry sink in the basement. The location in question is under the kitchen. I can tie into the drain pipe from the kitchen which would run vertically, right next to the laundry sink. However, the nearest point where I could attach a vent line is about twenty feet from the kitchen drain. My question is whether this twenty foot horizontal length of vent line too long to work properly?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 18, 2006, 03:47 PM
    To answer your question no. There is no limit on the length of a vent either horizontal or vertical. Good luck, Tom
    letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

Aug 18, 2006, 08:54 PM
    Even though there is no limit to how long the vent runs horizonal there can be a problem if your drain for the washer becomes partiality clogged debris can be pushed back up into the vent line until it can become completely clogged itself.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 19, 2006, 06:06 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by letmetellu
    Even though there is no limit to how long the vent runs horizonal there can be a problem if your drain for the washer becomes partiality clogged debris can be pushed back up into the vent line until it can become completely clogged itself.

While I hate to disagree with letmetellu it is highly unlikely, since if the washer drain became clogged the first place "debris" will spill out would be the lowest point which is the washer stand pipe. The backup would never reach the vent. My answer still stands; "To answer your question no. There is no limit on the length of a vent either horizontal or vertical."
    Run the vent. Regards, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Laundry Pump vent hookup. How? - no vent access [ 9 Answers ]

I have a Laundry Tray Pump System connected to my wash tub in my fifteen year old townhome's basement. I was recently informed that it was not properly installed because I never connected the vent pipe from the pump. I had some one look at it and was told that the house's vent system (which...

Laundry tub pump vent [ 4 Answers ]

I have a laundry tub installed in the basment. It drains to a sealed pump box. The pump inside discharges to the house drain above. The box is vented to the house drain also. About two feet upstream from where the discharge tees in. I suppose this has been working but the question is - is this a...

Laundry tub; washing machine sink [ 3 Answers ]

The sink in which the tubing from our washing machine is clogged. It has been for days. What can I use to unclog it. I've been unable to do any laundry, since the water continues to back up. I'd prefer to use something environmentally friendly, and something that will prevent the sink from...

Laundry Sink Drains Slowly [ 3 Answers ]

Hi. Great Forum with great answers! Our laundry sink is in the basement and has a 1 1/2" pvc pipe set up to drain the washer to the point where it is under the laundry sink. The laundry sink also drains out into the "V" pipe and fills up as the washer drains its water out. Problem: Sink...

Kitchen Sink/Laundry Sink Drain Vent Non-exist [ 3 Answers ]

The set-up from kitchen sink leading down to drain to basement: 1. Kitchen sink - (R side) - connected to a P drain I think you call it -PVC-, connected to a "metal" T, which has a Studer vent gizmo attached to the top of it, then draining into a metal pipe straight down to the drain in the...

View more questions Search