Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    margog85 Posts: 241, Reputation: 19

May 2, 2008, 04:52 PM
    This may seem dumb, but.
    I really feel kind of stupid posting a question like this, but here goes... you don't know me, so who cares right? Lol

Well, I've always enjoyed drawing- but I've been doing a lot since I started doing phone work a few years ago. Started just doodling, then got more and more complex- it's nothing realistic, and I struggle a lot when it comes to realistic drawings... more like pop-art and surrealism types of things... Anyway, I feel like... there's an artistic side of me that I really need to express... and I feel totally in my element when I'm drawing/creating something- but am I just fooling myself? I mean... what kind of artist can't do anything realistic? Or is totally limited to only one medium (ink... haha, it's stupid, I know, but I'm really most comfortable with either a black pen or some kind of marker pen... but I prefer just a plain old bic pen over anything else)-

So, am I totally kidding myself to think I have any talent? I mean, I guess I can indulge myself and do what I enjoy, but should I just keep it to myself? Or should I share what I do? Will I look like a total fool?

Post edited ****
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 2, 2008, 05:03 PM
    I have edited your post and have PM you the reasons.
    jrebel7 Posts: 1,255, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

May 3, 2008, 06:33 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by margog85
    I really feel kind of stupid posting a question like this, but here goes... yall don't know me, so who cares right? lol

Well, I've always enjoyed drawing- but I've been doing a lot since I started doing phone work a few years ago. Started out just doodling, then got more and more complex- it's nothing realistic, and I struggle alot when it comes to realistic drawings... more like pop-art and surrealism types of things... Anyway, I feel like... there's an artistic side of me that I really need to express... and I feel totally in my element when I'm drawing/creating something- but am I just fooling myself? I mean... what kind of artist can't do anything realistic? Or is totally limited to only one medium (ink... haha, it's stupid, I know, but I'm really most comfortable with either a black pen or some kind of marker pen... but I prefer just a plain old bic pen over anything else)-

So, am I totally kidding myself to think I have any talent? I mean, I guess I can indulge myself and do what I enjoy, but should I just keep it to myself? Or should I share what I do? Will I look like a total fool?

Post edited ****
    Every person has a need to create, each of us have to find our venue. Some may express themselves creatively through music, the printed word, acting, sculpting, painting, pottery, architecture, refinishing furniture, etc. If what you do fulfills a need for you then I would say you need to keep doing it. Not every artist expresses themselves by doing drawings or painting, etc. of realistic scenes, people, surroundings, etc. It sounds to me like you might be limiting what you can do by doubting yourself. You are limiting yourself to one medium because that is what you are comfortable with but once you get some feedback, you may want to try other mediums, such as paint, clay or plaster sculpting, etc. rather than just pen or markers. However, you may choose to stay within the same medium. There is nothing wrong with that. My main medium I work in is pencil. I do other things but that is where I believe my talent is strongest. Why don't you post some images of your work here. The artists on this site are really warm and caring and will give honest critiques. Take what they share in a positive way. This is a good forum to ask your question. I can answer this. No, you will not look like a fool at all. Please post some of your work. Looking forward to viewing it. :)
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

May 4, 2008, 02:07 AM
    To be an artist means that you are creative in some way. Visual art in and of itself is real, even if it doesn't look like objects or people in the "real" world. jrebel7 is an established artist in works that are visual. She has already mentioned some great things to you concerning that. Her advice is worth its weight in and is as good as gold!

We are looking forward to you posting images of some of the things that you have done!
    tomterm8 Posts: 76, Reputation: 8

May 6, 2008, 11:32 AM
    if you enjoy what you are doing, just keep on doing it and you will soon get better naturally. I've now been drawing for a couple of years, every day, and my work is much better than when I started. It's still not realistic, however :shrug:

there are techniques that can get you to a realistic drawing quite quickly (often related to the claude glass, the grid, sight size measurement, value measurement, etc), but I prefer going the scenic route and just sketching and drawing a lot, so I (hopefully) will eventually be able to draw without any props.

Anyway, stop letting your insecurities rule... if your drawing is bad, then it's bad. The next one will probably be slightly less bad. No guarantees, though. You might need to draw 10,000 sucky drawings before you get to the slightly less sucky drawings. However, sooner or later if you continue drawing, you will be good at it.
    templelane Posts: 1,177, Reputation: 227
    Ultra Member

May 6, 2008, 11:59 AM
    Everybody is an artist in some way.

You should branch out into other mediums not because it will make you more of an artist, but because it is fun!

The trick to realistic drawing is not drawing but looking, 80% looking to 20% drawing is about right. It can be really meditative.

If you want any help post up some pictures and I can give you exercises to do which will improve your weak points. It is amazing what a few pointers can do to improve somebodies drawing.

Of course if you like the way you are doing it you don't have to do anything! There is a whole genre of art called naïve art which is focused on having no traditional training and therefore no limitations.
    frangipanis Posts: 1,027, Reputation: 75
    Ultra Member

May 6, 2008, 04:54 PM
    A person in our art class last year couldn't do a realistic drawing to save his life (much like I couldn't do a piece of creative writing to save mine) and he used a wildly adhoc paint pallet, yet his paintings and drawings are always surprising and everyone's loves them. He's one of those rare people who does what he loves to do without giving a thought to what any critic might have to say.

May 6, 2008, 06:53 PM
    myartspace > Artist Profile Page

There's a link to a few of my drawings- please let me know what you think.

Thanks!
    frangipanis Posts: 1,027, Reputation: 75
    Ultra Member

May 6, 2008, 10:04 PM
    Are you serious? They're amazing. They look great!
    jrebel7 Posts: 1,255, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

May 6, 2008, 10:16 PM
    Keep on keepin' on! Interesting use of line and color!
    oneguyinohio Posts: 1,302, Reputation: 196
    Ultra Member

May 6, 2008, 10:31 PM
    I would keep doing it. Looks like you have plenty of talent and lots to express in your work! Maybe I'll see them in a museum someday? For certain, you could have them in galleries... Explore your options, and see what requirements various galleries near you may have for doing an exhibit of your work. Perhaps, framing or display might make a ton of difference as far as if they get treated as amaturish or professional quality> just a thought.

May 6, 2008, 10:41 PM
    Wow... you really think? Thanks!
    I'm glad people think they're decent
    I feel a little less silly now
    Maybe I'll check out and see what I can do... there are tons of art galleries in my area, I just felt stupid approaching them, not knowing if anything I had was good enough...
    oneguyinohio Posts: 1,302, Reputation: 196
    Ultra Member

May 6, 2008, 11:09 PM
    Let us know how it goes! Different galleries may also give you lots of opinions as to presentation etc... that can be very helpful. Of course, the final decision is yours and one place may have a different idea than another as to where there interest is... so, don't be afraid to keep searching for the right match when you go out looking.

I remember hearing that many people rejected and laughed at Walt Disney when he first took his art around trying to sell it. Bet those people aren't so haughty now!
    templelane Posts: 1,177, Reputation: 227
    Ultra Member

May 7, 2008, 12:43 AM
    Do you like Picasso?

I bet your drawings would look really intense painted. You should give that a shot, you can pick up cheap canvases in certain places (well I don't know about NY for sure) and paints like acrylic don't cost much. Although if you did your style in watercolours it would look very interesting.

Oils would look fantastic but they might put you off painting as they can be a struggle. But I'm biased on that point.

Nice colour and composition!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Are blondes really dumb [ 21 Answers ]

Is it ture that blondes are really dumb

Just dumb as usual. [ 1 Answers ]

Why did Tigger stick his head in the toilet? He was looking for Pooh! Why do mice have small balls? Not that many know how to dance. :rolleyes:

Help me I'm dumb [ 1 Answers ]

What are some common uses for calcium carbonate?

I'm dumb... [ 7 Answers ]

Hi there does anyone know the difference between GB and MB when it comes to disk space?

View more questions Search