Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cand1e Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 26, 2007, 03:02 PM
    Connecting laptop to laptop using crossover cable
    I have recently just bought a new laptop with Windows Vista.. and I am interested in transferring my files from the old laptop that uses Windows XP onto the new laptop. I purchased a crossover cable because I figured it would be the cheapest way to transfer. I am not too sure how to go about connecting and transferring the files though. Would anyone be able to help me out? I would greatly apprecite it! Thanks!:D
    mppkll Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 2, 2007, 10:23 AM
    1. You will need to assign both laptops a static IP address on the same network..

Laptop1 IP address 192.168.0.2 Subnet mask 255.255.255.0
    Laptop2 IP address 192.168.0.3 Subnet mask 255.255.255.0

You should not have to assign a DNS address for the transfer

2. Verify that both Laptops are on the same workgroup.

3. Attach the crossover cable to both laptops

4. Start the "Easy Transfer Wizard" on the Vista laptop and follow the on screen directions, when asked for a connection type choose "Other" then "Network"

5. once the tranfer is compleate be sure to change your network setting back to the previous settings (i.e. old static IP or DHCP)

If you need more detail let me know.
    Shinobix Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 29, 2011, 02:54 AM
    We can't play Warcraft fronzen throne using crossover cable, wa have the same workgroup but we can't connect each other. What do you think is the problem?
    darkvision Posts: 232, Reputation: 15

Sep 29, 2011, 04:07 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinobix View Post
    we can't play Warcraft fronzen throne using crossover cable, wa have the same workgroup but we can't connect each other. what do you think is the problem?
    Look at the post above yours, its basically the same thing set up static ip's on both pc's so that they are in the same ip range and it should work fine. You can also just always get both pc's on the internet and host a local game that way.
    rajvasu Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 12, 2011, 10:38 AM
    It can be connected to both the laptop by scanning the other laptop??

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Laptop screen repair? Useful life of a laptop? [ 3 Answers ]

I have an IBM Thinkpad X40. Have had it for 3 years Spilt liquid on the screen a while ago and now, although the screen works still, it has a kind of mottled tidemark effect and is dark in places (can also see where drops of water are permanently "stuck" behind the screen). Is this fixable?...

Connecting cable TV, dvd and vcr [ 1 Answers ]

I have cable TV coming into the house. Want to hook up a DVD player and a VCR to the TV with cable, howis this done.

Connecting cable to multimedia computer [ 1 Answers ]

I have an HP multimedia center computer and I would like to hook up my TV cable wire to it. Do I just split the cable connection with a connector and hook it directly to the back of the computer or do I need a cable box. I would like to watch and record with my computer.

Backup laptop to desktop using crossover cable [ 2 Answers ]

I want to backup the hard drive on my laptop to the hard drive on my desktop. I have a crossover cable and ethernet ports in each computer. What settings do I need to setup?

Connecting a laptop to PC [ 1 Answers ]

I need to tranfer files from my pc to laptop. How do you do that?

View more questions Search