Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    IrisEnthusiast Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 10, 2016, 09:20 AM
    Hydrogen bonds
    How come that the oxygen on a ketone group can have two hydrogen bonds while an ester group with two oxygen will also have two hydrogen bonds? Wouldn't it be four hydrogen bonds since there are two oxygen atoms?
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Sep 10, 2016, 10:20 AM
    The formula for Acetone ( AKA Dimethyl Ketone) has no hydrogen bonding C=O. Same for esters. Look at the formula for Methyl Acetate, same C=O linkage.
    If I remember my Organic Chemistry, 60 years ago, the carbon atom in carbonyl group (C=O), ketones and esters, is not electronegative enough to give hydrogen bonding.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dell Co. issues bonds dated January 1, 2009, with a par value of $865,830. The bonds\ [ 0 Answers ]

Dell Co. issues bonds dated January 1, 2009, with a par value of $865,830. The bonds' annual contract rate is 11%, and interest is paid semiannually on June 30 and December 31. The bonds mature in three years. The annual market rate at the date of issuance is 10%, and the bonds are sold for...

Company issued bonds with a face amount of $1000000 at 97.6%. The bonds are secured, [ 0 Answers ]

Company issued bonds with a face amount of $1000000 at 97.6%. The bonds are secured, have a stated rate of 7.5%, are callable in 5 years, and mature in 20 years. They pay interest semi-annually on July 1 and January 1

Sodium hydrogen carbonate mixed with sodium hydrogen sulfate? [ 2 Answers ]

What happens if you mix sodium hydrogen carbonate with sodium hydrogen sulfate? When I did it, it gave off a lot of gas bubbles (I originally had sodium hydrogen sulfate and sulfur powder mixed with water) and it produced a very strong acid. My litmus strip turned a very bright red. I need to know...

View more questions Search