Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    deesnider Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

May 21, 2008, 04:30 PM
    She won't give the engagement ring back?
    I need help on this. My fiacne is manic bi-polar and is in this phase where she needs "space" I was living with her for 2 months then left. Two weeks after that I got her to admit to me that we are done and asked for the ring back. While we were living together she handed me the ring when she read through my phone messages; jumping to conclusions. Now I ask for the ring and she said she will pick up the payments. Why does she want it? Is this vindictive or do we still have a chance?
    ChihuahuaMomma Posts: 7,378, Reputation: 608
    Vision Expert

May 21, 2008, 08:29 PM
    I think she is just trying to spite you. This was a gift though. SO, I mean, it's hers, even if you are still paying for it.
    Jason8676 Posts: 102, Reputation: 8

May 21, 2008, 08:49 PM
    Hey deesnider,
    I'm almost in the same predicament as you-however, I haven't asked for the engagement ring back. My ex is involved with somebody else now but she continues to spite me every now and then with pointless, stupid text messages every time I'm to the point of not caring anymore. The last time I actually talked to her she asked me, "Why is everyone else getting married and I can't? I told her, "Well, if we didn't waste all this time not talking we could have started making plans. Remember I asked you?" She sort of laughed and I asked her what was so funny. She said, "You." I then told her, "Well you know how I feel about you. You can either pawn it, flush it down the toilet, or give it back." She couldn't say anything about that. She has some psychological problems as well. I've just let the whole thing go and wrote the ring off as wasted money but a valuable lesson learned. If you really want her back, I would just completely leave her alone and let her return if she wants. If she wants to pick up the payments, I'd let her-but leave her alone and give her all the space she needs. She'll get a good taste of what life is like without you. That's what I've done with my ex. If she ever returns, fine. If not, then I know I can get on with my life without her It sounds like you want your ex back, so I'd let her keep it and pick up the payments, but I would totally disappear from her life as well-that will give her something to think about. Hope this helps! Jason
    lawanwadee Posts: 3,653, Reputation: 124
    Immigration Expert

May 22, 2008, 01:09 AM
    By the laws, if man breaks up the engagement, woman keeps the ring...
    On the contrary, if woman breaks up the engagement, she must return the ring.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

May 22, 2008, 05:34 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by lawanwadee
    By the laws, if man breaks up the engagement, woman keeps the ring..........
    on the contrary, if woman breaks up the engagement, she must return the ring.

Not correct in all States - this was posted 4 times yesterday. Must be something in the air BUT -

Not addressing the moral issue BUT the legal advice is:

The Courts have made binding decisions (case law) on all of the following:

In SOME States the ring is conditional upon the marriage - no marriage, return the ring: Iowa, Kansas, Michigan, NJ, NM, NY, Pennsylvania, Wisconsin.

In California if HE breaks the engagement SHE gets to keep the ring. If SHE breaks the engagement, he gets it back.

In Montana a ring is not a conditional gift, it is given freely, and it does not be returned.

The others are at the Judge's discretion (if it goes that far).

If the ring is "missing" the cash value is returned.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Should I give a ring back that was given to me by my ex monther-in-law? [ 2 Answers ]

Since my divorce in 2003, I have been trying to get back some sentimental items of mine that were left at my old house (yearbooks, family photos, etc... ). My ex and his friends moved my belongings into an apartment when we separtated and I wasn't 100% sure it was over between us, that's why I...

Engagement Ring [ 5 Answers ]

I was curious if I can get it back. The thing is I live in NY and the girl I am Engaged to is in another country... what should I do and can I get the ring back? TT

Getting engagement ring back and boob money. [ 26 Answers ]

My selfish Ex fiancé broke up with again, about 6 times with me. Its been about 3 months since this break up. In the beginning she refused to give ring back. We have been emailing each other a little bit threw out break up. About 2 weeks ago I told her to leave me alone forever. But she still has...

What's the difference between a comitment ring and an engagement ring? [ 13 Answers ]

Can someone please help me here I was wondering what's the difference between a commitment ring and an engagement ring?

Old Engagement Ring [ 24 Answers ]

Should you give it back if you changed your mind or accept it because it was a gift?

View more questions Search