Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Erene_Grey94 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 30, 2015, 12:18 AM
    What should I major in?
    I am currently enrolled at a junior college, and having second doubts about what I want to do with my life; as well as my major. I am majoring in Sociology at the moment, but I intend on majoring in Social Work or Criminal Justice, because my college doesn't offer social work as a major choice. I received admission into a few colleges I applied to, I'm waiting to hear back from some other colleges.

I thought I wanted to be a Probation Officer, Physical Therapist Assistant or Occupational Therapist Assistant. I'm overly sensitive, submissive, in addition to timid. Those words shouldn't be used to describe a person who wants to be a Probation Officer, I realize I will have to work with offenders, sometimes violent, and I don't want them to feel like they could take advantage of me. I live in America and the state I live in requires Probation Officers to carry a firearm while on duty, because they're considered Peace Officers in my state. I have never seen a firearm in person, touched or held one; I'm not sure how comfortable I would feel containing one. I have looked at labor statistics websites and the projected job growth for Probation Officers compared to my other career choices is a fraction of their job growth, I want to have a variety of jobs to pick from.

I shouldn't have as much as competition becoming a P.O. because of the nature of the work. Occupational Therapist Assistants make the same amount of money as a P.O. and also doesn't require as much education; Physical Therapist Assistants don't make as much money compared to the other two choices, but it pays well.

I am twenty year-olds, I know I can always go back to college, but I just want to pick something and stick to it.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 30, 2015, 04:22 AM
    Actually it was not uncommon for many at the police academy not to have ever shot a gun.

But you carry one because the work can be dangerous and if someone does not follow the rules you may be required to arrest them, Or at least go with the police and help with the arrest. Also you will have to take one or two personality tests to see if qualified.

So no,if you are timid, police or probation is not for you

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Need some major help! [ 1 Answers ]

Moved to its own thread, and edited for privacy I need help. My best friend has a problem. She's in love with her boyfriend, but his best friend, has been hanging out with them a lot. She is starting to catch big feelings for him, but she doesn't know what to do because she loves her...

My major [ 5 Answers ]

What classes would I have to take in order to major in forensic investigation ? Any one know...

Major What ? [ 4 Answers ]

I need to know the title of an old movie that puts an aging war hero in charge of a military academy. Thank you

Need Major Help [ 2 Answers ]

Ok Last yr my 10 yr old daughter went to live with her father, we agreed if she wanted to come back home she could. We went to court and made it to where he had physical cutody, but judge left me with lega custody. I was to have visitation every other weekend Well I got it about 3 times.. the...

I need major help! [ 2 Answers ]

I have a big problem at school. OK, there is this guy and he has a girlfriend. At the beginning og November he was flirting with me. But I didn't know that he had a girlfriend. So, one of my friends say that he said that I went to talk to him saying that to break up with his girl friend. Which I...

View more questions Search