Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Claudia Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 1, 2004, 10:28 AM
    Changing .ctg file to .jpg format
    ?? Hello,
    I need some help with viewing pictures.
    You see... I have a cd of picures that were shot with a canon digital. 2 out of 3 folders I am able to see the pics. The #3 folder is listed as canon msc. When I click it on 119.ctg. It will not let me open. I checked on the file menu on my computer for the properties. It states it is "read only file"?? I know there are pictures in there somewhere. I also found out it is listed as Mime. It states that dll32 could open it. Any suggestions for how to convert? I need a computer Genie to grant me this one wish!
    Thanks a Bunch!
    Claudia
    cwazy_fish Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 16, 2004, 02:46 AM
    Re: changing .ctg file to .jpg format
    Claudia rite? Do you no how to solve it now? Because I have da same problem :'(
    tiho Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 18, 2004, 09:08 PM
    I have picures that were shot with a canon digital.3 of folders I am not able to see the pics.?
    springriver Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 1, 2004, 04:53 AM
    The .ctg files contain internal info - I know not what. If there is a 119.ctg, there should be a 119CANON which contains pictures from 1900 to 1999 normally starting with IMG_ and of type .JPG. They may also start with STA_ through STZ_, if they are images taken in stitch mode. Some cameras may also have SND_ or MVI_ files for sound clips and movies.

When sorting picture, sort on "modified" not "name" to get them into the most useful order.
    Liz Knight Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 2, 2005, 06:23 PM
    I can't open digital photo's with "CTG" ext.
    Hello Claudia

I too need some help with viewing pictures.
    We cannot open digital photo's with a "CTG" ext
    Did you manage to sort out your photo's?
    And can you help me?
    Please!

Thanks
    Liz

Quote Originally Posted by Claudia
    ??? Hello,
    You see....I have a cd of picures that were shot with a canon digital. 2 out of 3 folders I am able to see the pics. The #3 folder is listed as canon msc. When I click it on 119.ctg. It will not let me open. I checked on the file menu on my computer for the properties. It states it is "read only file" ??? I know there are pictures in there somewhere. I also found out it is listed as Mime. It states that dll32 could open it. Any suggestions for how to convert? I need a computer Genie to grant me this one wish!
    Thanks a Bunch!
    Claudia
    LTheobald Posts: 1,051, Reputation: 127
    Ultra Member

May 3, 2005, 07:32 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by springriver
    The .ctg files contain internal info - i know not what. If there is a 119.ctg, there should be a 119CANON which contains pictures from 1900 to 1999 normally starting with IMG_ and of type .JPG. They may also start with STA_ thru STZ_, if they are images taken in stitch mode. Some cameras may also have SND_ or MVI_ files for sound clips and movies.

When sorting picture, sort on "modified" not "name" to get them into the most useful order.
    Just pointing this out again as people seem to be somehow missing it. To summarise - *.CTG files ARE NOT pictures. You cannot view them like jpegs.
    canfran Posts: 1, Reputation: 2

Dec 24, 2005, 03:26 PM
    CTG Storage File
    Claudia,

Digital Cameras create extra files on the memory sticks, cards etc. For Canon they are CTG files. They are not picture files. You will notice each file folder has a number. In the last folder there are CTG files with numbers corresponding to each of the folders. I have been copying files for three years. I always delete the storage files, and have never had adverse effects.

Perhaps a computer geek can explain why there are storage files.

Digital Camera Users, there are warnings about how to delete files from your memory stick, card, etc. because the cameras leave unused files on the stick etc. From my experience, I have used the computer to read the memory stick, either with a USB cord, or a slot. There I can see the excess files. I delete them, and I believe I have clean memory sticks.

Again, a real computer geek can correct me if I'm wrong. Then we'll all benefit.

Canfran
    fenultimate Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 15, 2007, 01:04 AM
    East tec Eraser wipes all residue traces from any drive you choose. www.east-technologies.com
    m design Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 28, 2008, 02:53 AM
    I need some help with vviewing pictures. We cannot open digital photo's with a (ctg)ext. can you help me .thanks
    m design Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 28, 2008, 02:58 AM
    I need some help with viewing pictures.we cannot open digital photo's with a (ctg)ext. can you help me.
    xphelper Posts: 220, Reputation: 29

Feb 20, 2008, 06:50 PM
    You left out two very important pieces of information:
    1 - The camera model (is it a PowerShot Pro70 by chance?)
    2 - How are you trying to download your pictures (what software are you using?)
    mochapeaches19 Posts: 9, Reputation: 2

Dec 28, 2008, 01:22 PM

Memory Card Recovery Software to Recover Lost Photos - CardRecovery will help solve this problem. You can download the free trial and then scan your card and it will rcover any images accidentally or intentionally deleted or otherwise lost, and you can choose the specific files you would like to recover, but in order to actually recover them, you have to but the progrm for $39.95, and although it seems like a pretty seep price, it will enable you to recover any other files at a later time if you ever need to. I have used this personally after my Canon Powershot SD790 IS lost over 60 of my pictures, and it does work. The .ctg files aren't actually pictures at all, but be sure that you read your owner manual for the camera you are using, because sometimes you must format the card in order to prevent this problem. I hope this information was useful in solving your problem!
    mochapeaches19 Posts: 9, Reputation: 2

Dec 28, 2008, 01:22 PM

Ecuse me I meant you must BUY the program to recover the images.
    IndieOllyy321 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 18, 2010, 03:34 PM
    You need adobe bridge. This is a program that can open any photo's and edit them too in any format. We use it at college and opens all our ctg files. Hope its been helpful!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Changing the file type (.exe/.zip/.mp3/... ) [ 9 Answers ]

I know how to open a file using the "open with" option But how do you change the file types? Such as from '.exe' to '.zip' or from '.xm' to '.mod' In the past, that was quite simply done by changing the file name... but now in the newer Versions of windows... if you rename something -...

File Changes format during transit [ 4 Answers ]

Could someone enlighten us ( a small community non profit group) why a DOC file would change to a DAT file during email transit from only that persons PC to the rest of our group's PC ? ( 25 persons) I assume the sender might be using Win 98 and some other users have XP and a small number of...

File format change [ 1 Answers ]

Can anyone tell me how I can change a .ppt (MS PowerPoint) file to a .jpg file? I have several pictures from a PowerPoint slide show that I'd like to save as individual .jpg files. Thanks

File format [ 2 Answers ]

Hi pals What is .rtf file format? Which application is used to edit or open that file?

View more questions Search