Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    passmeby Posts: 473, Reputation: 11

Mar 26, 2009, 11:05 AM
    Is there a such thing as an EX con?
    I was just thinking about this... how can one be a "ex"-con? If you've been tried and convicted, that's it, isn't it? You're a convict because you've been convicted and that doesn't change when your time is served or debt is paid, you've still been convicted of the crime. The only exception I could thhink of would be if you were pardoned, but even with that I'm not sure... Just wondering what anyone else thinks.

Hi, excon!. I'm looking forward to your answer!

Mar 26, 2009, 12:41 PM

Oh, wait, I just thought... I guess the only TRUE EX-con would be someone who was wrongfully convicted and later vindicated.

Guess I just think about random, weird stuff. Ex-con is such a common saying/label, yet it makes virtually no sense in 99% of cases. Right?
    spitvenom Posts: 1,266, Reputation: 373
    Ultra Member

Mar 26, 2009, 12:55 PM

When you get divorced you are an Ex husband or Ex wife because you are no longer someone's husband or wife. When you serve your time and you are no longer a convict because you served your time then you are an excon. See how that works. To be honest your question or thought is pretty stupid.
    artlady Posts: 4,208, Reputation: 1477
    Ultra Member

Mar 26, 2009, 12:59 PM

When you are not a convict anymore ,as in behind bars ,you are an ex con.

A convict is generally considered a person who is still incarcerated.

Now our beloved excon... I don't even know what to say about him,except he always cracks me up and he's pretty bright too :)

Mar 26, 2009, 01:14 PM

But you're never un-convicted of the crime. You're always responsible for that act. You did it. You were convicted. You're not un-convicted when you get out of the pen. You're still just as guilty as the day you went in, you've just paid a debt.

You're certainly un-married when you get divorced, I get that, but as far as a crime goes, you can't "divorce" it. You DID IT, you were CONVICTED of it, it NEVER goes away. It's not a stupid question, it's perfectly valid. A convict is not necessarily behind bars either, they're on probation, parole, or whatever. I would call someone who is incarcerated an inmate.
    Justwantfair Posts: 3,422, Reputation: 944
    Ultra Member

Mar 26, 2009, 01:22 PM

Got to love an argument for the sake of an argument.

While you are still "convicted" you have also served your punishment for being convicted, making you an ex-"convicted" individual.

Mar 26, 2009, 01:25 PM

Maybe ex-incarcerated, but not ex-convicted. You're convicted for life.

It's just one of many phrases in our language that we use all the time, yet if you sit and think about it for a second, it really makes NO sense.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Mar 26, 2009, 01:30 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by passmeby View Post
    I would call someone who is incarcerated an inmate.
    Hello again, pass:

Cops call 'em inmates. Convicts call 'em convicts. So, they're convicts.

The only time you're UN convicted, is when you're pardoned.

excon

PS> I don't know nuthin about this beloved crap. I hate everybody.

Mar 26, 2009, 02:02 PM

Oh, you know you love us! ; )

But, hey, you didn't address the original question! Well, you kind of did, you said you're never UN convicted unless you're pardoned... or if a wrongful conviction is overturned... so does that mean you agree with me?

I know perfectly well what the intent of the label "ex-con" means, all I'm saying is that if you take one minute to think about it's actual meaning, it makes no sense. That's all. Kind of as dumb as saying "taped live" or something.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

At home jobs good thing? Or a bad thing? [ 5 Answers ]

I have a two month old little girl, and a job I have had for almost 4 years. When I first found out I was pregnant my boss and I sat down and discussed my future with the company. We decided that after my maternity leave I would come back part time (20 hours) until January of 2009. I am now back...

How do you know if it's the right thing to do? [ 4 Answers ]

I'm 15 years old, living at hom with my step dad and mom and hate it. I have certain complications coping with stress and things such as that, and my parents just don't seem to get it. They said they don't care if I stay here or not so if I move to my boyfriends house where its stable, if my...

View more questions Search