Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sdmcarlson Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jun 25, 2009, 01:55 PM
    Installing second shower head
    Have (2) Pegasus single handle shower heads (875-9196). One is plumbed into the hot and cold, works fine. Second one I "envisioned" plumbing a "T" out the shower line of the first, over to the hot side of the second, and when you wanted the second head on, just turn the handle. Water is getting over to the second mixing valve but it is not allowing water to come out. No debris in the way - - played with the anti-scald. . No avail.

Suggestions??
    letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

Jun 25, 2009, 05:53 PM

What did you do to the cold water on the second shower valve?

If I understand what you did you tied into the riser coming out of the first set of valves and ran a pipe to the hot side of the second set of valves. Therefore if you have water coming out of the first shower head and you want water to come out of the second shower head you turn on the hot water of the second shower valve. If you have plugged off the cold water on the second shower head you should have water coming out of both shower heads.

If you turn the valves off at the first shower valves you will not get any water out of either shower head.

If what is said is not right please explain further.

Jun 25, 2009, 07:25 PM
    Exactly.. .

Ran pipe to hot inlet on valve of #2. nothing coming out??

Thought it would be in the anti-scald. . Can't figure it out

I have a diagam I can send

Thanks for any help you can offer

Scott

If I understand what you did you tied into the riser coming out of the first set of valves and ran a pipe to the hot side of the second set of valves. Therefore if you have water coming out of the first shower head and you want water to come out of the second shower head you turn on the hot water of the second shower valve. If you have plugged off the cold water on the second shower head you should have water coming out of both shower heads.

If you turn the valves off at the first shower valves you will not get any water out of either shower head.

If what is said is not right please explain further.[/QUOTE]
    letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

Jun 25, 2009, 07:45 PM

You do know that the first valve has to be on before you can get anything out of second valve. That is if you tee'd into the riser coming up from the first valve.

Jun 25, 2009, 10:58 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by letmetellu View Post
    You do know that the first valve has to be on before you can get anything out of second valve. That is if you tee'd into the riser coming up from the first valve.
    Yeah, When I turn on the water for the first valve, shower head works perfectly.. . When I turn on second, nothing.. . well a couple drips.

I just thought this would be the easy way of doing it, but water won't come through.

S.
    iamgrowler Posts: 1,421, Reputation: 110
    Ultra Member

Jun 26, 2009, 02:36 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by sdmcarlson View Post
    Yeah, When I turn on the water for the first valve, shower head works perfectly. . . when I turn on second, nothing. . .well a couple drips.

I just thought this would be the easy way of doing it, but water won't come through.

S.
    If the second valve is a pressure balanced valve and you've blocked the cold port, then you don't have the opposing forces required to actuate the balancing spool.

What you need to do is eliminate the second pressure balanced valve and install a volume control to one or both of the shower heads from the first pressure balanced valve.

Jun 26, 2009, 08:16 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by iamgrowler View Post
    If the second valve is a pressure balanced valve and you've blocked the cold port, then you don't have the opposing forces required to actuate the balancing spool.

What you need to do is eliminate the second pressure balanced valve and install a volume control to one or both of the shower heads from the first pressure balanced valve.
    Thanks so much. . I'll try but I'm worried how to take valve apart. There is a bonnet and sleeve behind the handle seat to remove. Once I do this, I can get into the valve (it appears). How do those usually come off.. . are they threaded, or pressed on?
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Jun 27, 2009, 06:25 AM

Gee, it would help if you would draw a sketch of your shower set up and post it...
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Jun 27, 2009, 07:16 PM

Rather than try to defeat the pressure balance, why not just pipe into both hot and cold of the second valve?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Rain shower head & handheld shower head problem [ 4 Answers ]

I have a shower with 2 pipes for showers heads (one on the wall in front, and one on a side wall). The wall in front has a rain shower head on it. The wall to the side has a hand held shower head attached. The pipe with the hand held shower attached has a push button valve to turn the handheld on...

Installing new shower head pipe [ 8 Answers ]

I need to replace the galvanized pipe running inside the tile wall from the faucets to the shower head. Is there any easy way to do this short of a demolition job on the wall to access the pipe. Is there a way to remove the tile area so that it could be replaced after pipe installation?

Shower head leaking from bottom of head [ 1 Answers ]

I am trying to install a new hand held shower head and I put a washer into the wall part and stopped it from coming out of there but now the water sprays out of the bottom of the head instead of coming out of the actual head

Replace shower Plumbing Valve assembly shower head 2 knobs [ 3 Answers ]

In a fiberglass corner shower shell. What I have is an old leaking rusted Shower valve assembly. It leaks from the Shower head that is a hand sprayer with a wall mount from the sprayer. It also leaks around the both the hot and cold water wall mount knobs. The cold water knob the sleeve that...

Best way to install fixed shower head and personal shower [ 4 Answers ]

I am installing a new shower setup. I want to install a fixed shower head as well as a hand held personal shower with hose. On the Kohler website they sell a diverter valve with some sort of backflow valve for this purpose. I have a friend who just had this done and he has no diverter valve just...

View more questions Search