Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tonyyock2 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 15, 2010, 06:36 AM
    Can I use an electric hot water heater as a hot water storage tank?
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Oct 15, 2010, 06:39 AM

Since a hot water heater is also a holding tank, I don't really understand your question.

Can you give us some more information on what you are trying to do?
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Oct 15, 2010, 06:46 AM

Yes, you can.
    tonyyock2 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 15, 2010, 07:13 AM
    Is there anything else different I would have to do? Other than not hooking up heating elements and connecting thermostat to the boiler. I can get the water heater today at half the price or wait a week for the bradford white ast 40-6 storage tank.
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Oct 15, 2010, 07:55 AM

Not really. Since it is used for Storage Tank than make sure you connect HOT water only. That's all...
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Oct 15, 2010, 11:32 AM

Hi Tony...

Just out of curiosity... exactly what are you doing here? Are you using an old tankless coil for hot water and then storing it in the water heater tank?

Please let us know the details so we can be sure you don't miss anything... like a temperature and pressure relief valve... these are very important for safety!

Back to you...

Mark
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Oct 16, 2010, 10:37 AM
    Sure you can! Is the "storage tank" a working heater and will you be using the elements? Here are the two ways to hook them up, (see images). Depending on your needs what's your pleasure? Cheers, Tom
    Attached Images

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I have very low hot water pressure from my hot water heafrom an electric water heater [ 0 Answers ]

I have very low water pressure from my hot water heater. I can't find anything wrong.. any ideas?

New Hot Water Heater Wire Panel Filling With Water From Tank [ 2 Answers ]

I have recently installed a new electric hot water heater. I have connected all the wires properly, I have connected the piping in the correct manner, and filled the tank. I was about to flip my breaker to turn the water heater on, and noticed a little moister around the panel that the wires come...

How to convert from storage to hot water tank? [ 1 Answers ]

Boiler is producing hot water with an added storage tank. Need to know what to do with the hot water feed from the boiler. 1. can it be capped . How will that effect the tank inside the boiler? Can hot water be fed into hot water tank without damage to it?

New electric water heater low hot water pressure [ 1 Answers ]

I just replaced an old electric hot water heater, roughly 10+ years old, with a new one. This was done in the early am, before noon. It is now evening, after 6pm EST. and I've noticed two things. 1) My hot water pressure is now low in all of my faucets, but the cold water is fine. 2) The water...

Replaced electric water heater Atlanta area, but no hot water [ 14 Answers ]

The old water heater died. Bot one (38 gals) at HD. Installed exactly like the old one was as follows--3 CPVC pipes come out of wall. Two are joined. Before they are joined one has a valve. After they are joined there is a second valve. The pipe is connected to the cold side of the heater using...

View more questions Search