Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    avel Posts: 199, Reputation: 0

Jan 4, 2006, 01:02 AM
    Resizing small photos...
    Im using Adobe and Corel in my art work... but I have a problem in comes of resizing small photos and low DPI photos... Using these programs how can I possibly clear the photos in my art work... I hope you guys know what I mean, I guess you know what will happened if you inlarge a small photo or low DPI photo the image will become blured... if ADOBE and COREL can't hope there's still some program can... :(

Please help me guys Thanks...
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Jan 4, 2006, 03:44 AM
    I'm sorry to say: no.

There is very little you can do with small size or low res. Adobe (Both Photoshop and Photoshop Elements) can do wonders with pixels but if the pixels aren't there then you're stuck.

You always want to start with a res and size higher than what you want in the end and work down.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Jan 4, 2006, 04:30 AM
    Small photo
    Hi,
    I agree with rickj's answer of No.
    I use Paint Shop Pro, and others, but one can't add quality to a picture.
    Hopefully, you can find a photo of the same thing, only a much larger size.
    Resizing, downwards, only gives the same, or lower quality than one has to start with.
    Best of luck.

Jan 4, 2006, 09:34 PM
    So does it mean that the artist of those billboard I saw posted aside or at the top of the mall, used large or high res photo... billboards are big, how large or high res is the re-sizable photo for it not be blurred when you enlarge it into a billboard size... I know 300 DPI is good but if the 300 DPI photo is a size of 2 x 2 inches if you enlarge it into a billboard size the effect is the same it will become blurred am I right...

How they do that, making a blurred photo clear, just like old photo into a new... :confused:
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Jan 5, 2006, 03:36 AM
    A billboard sign can not be made from a 2x2 inch 300dpi photo.

Also, I think billboard sign makers have other tricks up their sleeves that are not available to a user like you and I.

For working with Photoshop or Corel, the best thing to know is that you can always work DOWN in size or resolution, but you can never work UP in resolution - and can only work up in size a little bit if the original is of very high resolution.

What is the source of the pictures you are working with? Are you taking them yourself? If so, what camera are you using?

Or are you scanning prints? If so, what scanner are you using?
    orange Posts: 1,364, Reputation: 197
    Ultra Member

Jan 5, 2006, 08:08 AM
    I agree. I'm doing a lot of resizing of images lately, with my new website. I always start with as large a picture as possible. Use my avatar as an example... it's part of one of my paintings. The original size of the scanned image was about 1200 x 1400. I scanned it into Photoshop, and then edited out any imperfections at an even higher resolution. Then I resized it several times smaller. But if I had started with a very small image, it would be fuzzy and not even recognizable. You can use sharpen or other special effects all you want, but it just looks bad if the image wasn't large enough to begin with.

Pixels are your friends... the more the better!

Jan 5, 2006, 07:39 PM
    So that why even if I tried many times figuring out how to solve this problem, its just like looking for a tiny thing in the dark room... :D...
    Oh well, but why when I go to malls I see some imaging shops, ads that they can renew an old photos... :confused: even if the corol is faded...
    orange Posts: 1,364, Reputation: 197
    Ultra Member

Jan 5, 2006, 10:22 PM
    Well, you are able to fix color in Photoshop and other similar programs... to a certain extent. You can adjust the saturation and hue, brightness and contrast, color balance, levels of blue, red and green, etc. You can also play around with special effects that will alter the color. You can fix scratches and damage to a scan of an old photo, by using for example, the clone / stamp tool or the despeckle option, and there are other options as well. But that's not the same thing as increasing the number of pixels.

I know I've taken old photos in to a photo shop before, and they can only do so much to fix them. The results aren't perfect. And for something like a billboard or very large sign I'm willing to bet they start with a very high res image. But if you really want to know what they do that's different from your home computer, I would just call up and ask them. Any reputable place would be willing to tell you their methods.

Jan 8, 2006, 07:35 PM
    :D hehehe OK I understand now, its up to me how to fix a photo... OK thanxz...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Resizing photos. [ 3 Answers ]

I want to place some photos on eBay, but I can't as the photos are too big. How can I reduce their size? Must I buy an expensive program like Photoshop? Also, I have an install CD but my iMac (OSX 10.1.2) tells me I can't install it because it does not appear to be compressed or encoded. What...

Resizing [ 3 Answers ]

All of the sudden my window has decided to resize itself to VERY LARGE!! Just out of the blue this happened. I have gone to view and all settings are the same, but when I look at the forum I can only see maybe 3 threads where previous I could see the entire page. This happened while I was...

Dreamweaver and auto resizing [ 5 Answers ]

I am working on a website in Dreamweaver and I am running into a small problem. I am working on a large screen laptop with screen settings of 1440 x 900 pixels. Of course everything looks fine. However, when I go to a different computer with 800 x 600 settings or something different than...

Windows 98 resizing screen and colors [ 1 Answers ]

I recently reinstalled windows 98 and wasn't able to resize my screen area or colors. I have only 2 or 16 colors available and extra large windows and graphics, in poor quality. This happened before and the Microsoft solution had to do something with creating an alternate configuration (naming it...

View more questions Search