Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    yakbuddah Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 31, 2007, 05:09 PM
    401k disbursement and downpayment
    In 2005, I took a withdrawal from my 401K, which I used as a downpayment on my first and primary place of residence. I was paying it back, when I changed companies in 2006. The old company has reported it to IRS as a taxable income. Now I face additional penalties and taxes. How do I offset my gross salary, being that I used the money for a downpayment.

Thanks a lot.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 1, 2007, 11:19 AM
    You cannot offset it.

A distribution for a first time home purchase is NOT permitted from a 401k, only from an IRA.

Sorry about that!
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 1, 2007, 11:24 AM
    You didn't take a Withdrawal, you took a loan. When you changed companies, since there was an outstanding balance on the loan, that balance was considered a withdrawal. So now, you have to pay taxes and a 10% penalty on that amount. Its too late now to do anything about it but pay.

What you could have done, at the time you switched companies, was to pay off the loan, roll over the account into your new company's plan, then take another loan against the rollover to pay off where you got the money from. I've done this before when switching jobs with an outstanding loan.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 1, 2007, 11:57 AM
    ScottGem's point is well taken, but, unfortunately, it is water under the bridge! :-(

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

401k [ 3 Answers ]

I have a 401k with less than a $1,000 in it. I wanted to know what the taxes would be? I quit that job and need to get it out. I need to know if I should transfer it of take it out?

401k [ 8 Answers ]

I am inquiring as to whether a 401K account is still active after 6 years, even though I haven't put anything into it. If so, how do I go about inquiring how to get that money out of that account. The company I worked for has been sold to UPS and now I don't know how to get information on my old...

View more questions Search