Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    zawatska Posts: 226, Reputation: 12

Jun 19, 2009, 08:32 AM
    Reprimanded for missing work w/ medical excuse
    I have a Dr's excuse to miss two days from work, which I already had taken, and I go back to work today. When I was in the ER I called my human resource ladyat 7am and I work second shift which is 2pm-10pm... and told her where I was, and that I have a dr's excuse to miss two days. She said okay, bring in the excuse when you come back into work (today). But then she says "just to prewarn you, you will most likely get a write up, or an oral reprimand".

I AM on my 90 day probationary period, I'm about 5 weeks into it... I just can't understand how they can reprimand me when I have a medical excuse... is this right? It's fine if it is, I guess... I just want to know.

Thanks! :D

PS-I don't know if I posted this in the right topic either...
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jun 19, 2009, 12:18 PM

What is the company policy?

(Hey! How was your birthday! I've missed you.)
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Jun 19, 2009, 04:57 PM

Sometimes probationary periods don't factor in being sick or in the hospital. If they don't write you up, that would definitely go against the company policy for probationary periods. Don't worry about getting written up. You do have the doctor's note to back it up versus you just took two days off with no excuse.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 19, 2009, 05:33 PM

Yes, I have worked for varoius companies that do not allow any absent at all for your probation period.

After that or during that, you may be earning "paid days off" so if you use more days off than you have on the books, you may be written up.

Jun 21, 2009, 04:57 AM

Thanks for the answers! Judy my birthday was great, and I've probably only gotten drunk like 3 times since being 21! Haha.

I've asked around at work, and they all say that human resources has one week to write me up. So they have until this Wednesday, but if they try after that then Ive got to get one of my union representatives and they will get it figured out... idk lol.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jun 21, 2009, 07:09 AM

Hello z:

Bringing a doctors note for being absent is a grade school thing. In the adult world, that doesn't happen. If an employer doesn't believe you were sick, he shouldn't have you on the payroll.

Whether you have a note or not, or whether you're on probation or not, and notwithstanding ANY of the rules your HR department has, in the absence of an employment contract, they can fire you for ANY reason whatsoever and ANY time.

excon

Jun 21, 2009, 08:07 PM

Excon- No they can't fire me any time they want because I'm in the union and have been since the first minute I've been working there. And its not a grade school thing I found out, I will NOT be getting written up or reprimanded in any way because I have that dr's excuse.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can you work as a medical biller? [ 1 Answers ]

I have three felony's on my record. Would I be able to work as a medical biller?

Someone talking about my medical health at work [ 6 Answers ]

I recently found out that one of my co workers went and told everyone that I was pregnant. I had it posted on myspace but only my friends can view my page. One of my formal friends let this co worker view my page on myspace and this co worker went to work the next day and told the entire office...

What Do You Do When Someone Is Missing From Work? [ 4 Answers ]

Another Stupid Blonde Joke Two blonde girls were working for the city public works department. One would dig a hole and the other would follow behind her and fill the hole in. They worked up one side of the street, then down the other, then moved on to the next street, working furiously all...

View more questions Search