Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bvasold1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 20, 2007, 01:46 PM
    I am trying to rienforce bak deck/porch to support hot tub
    Hello
    I am having trouble finding answers. I am trying to put a hot tub on my deck. This is where it gets tricky. The deck is really a porch with its own block wall foundation. I live in a brick row home so they added a 14’x 8' extension to the basement and covered it with a 4" thick concrete slab. To dress it up the previous owner laid composite decking on top of the porch to create a nice rear deck for the first floor of the house. So, I would like to put a 7'6" x 7'6" hot tub weighing roughly 5000lbs w/water and people on the one side of the deck. Since my workshop is underneath and I will be using the hot tub I don’t want to risk loseing either by falling through the slab. I was thinking that I could reinforce the porch from underneath using two lolly columns one on each and of the deck (12' apart interior) and span them with a steel I Beam. How ever I am unsure of what size I should use. Preferably as small as possible as not to loose much overhead clearance.
    I know this is allot to grasp, But if any one could help I would greatly appreciate it
    Thank you
    Kstar4u Posts: 255, Reputation: 22

Apr 23, 2007, 04:34 PM
    Have you considered raising the area that you plan to put the hot tub in? If you do... you have a whole new solutions available to you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Deck support post size [ 5 Answers ]

I am building a 12' X 18' foot deck with pressure treated lumber. The 18' will be along the house with 12' joists out from there. I can not find what is required as far as post size. The deck will be 12' high and I planned on using four 4"X6" posts under the beam for support. That will be a post...

Verticle deck support on a beach [ 2 Answers ]

what is the right way to install a 6x6 support for a 14' x 20' deck. The water level is only 2' below grade. Do I dig a hole below the water line. Do I put the wood on a concrete slab. The deck is only a couple a feet off the ground. Should I dig it down below the frost line.

Deck construction support [ 7 Answers ]

Hello - I am in the process of designing a deck for my house. As I have a walk out basement and want the deck off the main floor, the deck will be one story above grade. The back of my house has a 3 season porch protruding out about 12 feet. My idea is to have the deck also protruding out from...

Deck ledger support [ 2 Answers ]

I am about to put up a ledger board for my deck. I have found the floor truss supports that I will need to bolt to. Well there is about 2 inches of sheet insulation between the end of the floor truss and the sheathing. Will this make a difference? It just seems like the ledger board may not have...

Building a tub deck and shower enclosure [ 1 Answers ]

Greetings, I am not sure if this s/b in this section or in plumbing, so I will post it in both. We are adding a whirlpool tub to our bathroom addition and it requires a tub deck. The exterior walls are all framed and insulated (Icynene). Should I rock the walls first and then build the...

View more questions Search