Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    radar5 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 21, 2009, 07:02 PM
    What is the inducer motor
    I have a bryant 395C gas furnace and the inducer motor assembly is making noise.

The motor seems fine and the furnace operates normally, but there is a plastic wheel attached to the end of the motor that is rattling when the motor runs.

I've looked at pictures of many inducer motor assemblies and none of them have a wheel such as this.

The plastic wheel fits loosly on the motor shaft and can be spun by hand with the motor off. It spins with the motor on only by being loosly fitted to the shaft.

Does anyone know what it's purpose is? It seems to only give an indication that the motor is running.

It's loose fit seems to be the cause of the rattle, so it may be worn and meant to fit snugly on the shaft so that it won't rattle.

What do you think?

Thanks for any help.
    WallyHelps Posts: 1,018, Reputation: 136
    Ultra Member

Dec 21, 2009, 07:30 PM

I don't claim to the furnace master, but my thinking is that your suspicion about the wheel needing to be tight is correct. I'm assuming there is a nut (or there was a nut) that would hold it tight to the shaft. Is the shaft threaded? Can you pull the wheel off? Is is cracked in the area that goes on the shaft?

If is strictly a pressure fit, and worn, you could try to put some silicone caulk on the shaft and then push the wheel on. Unfortunately, you'll need about 24 hours of not running it to allow the caulk to cure.

I think if you can get it tight to the shaft, you'll be back in business.

The wheel is probably a flywheel to smooth out the speed of the inducer motor, but that is strictly a guess.

Best of luck,
    WallyH
    letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

Dec 21, 2009, 08:52 PM

This is a cooling fan for the inducer motor. Wally gave you good advice about how to tighten it to the shaft
    KC13 Posts: 2,556, Reputation: 99
    Ultra Member

Dec 22, 2009, 04:53 AM
    The attached pic is of an inducer assembly that uses the same cooling impeller. Look closely at the clip on the exposed end of the shaft. If it is missing, the impeller will likely vibrate. If present, but loose, carefully twist it off, place on a hard surface & tap with a hammer to compress the tabs.
    Attached Images

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Furnace inducer motor [ 5 Answers ]

What are the implications of a furnace inducer motor drawing high Amps?

Inducer Motor Problems [ 6 Answers ]

I have a Goodman Gas Furnace installed in 1997 and have been experiencing the following problems: The usual run for the furnace has been inducer motor on, ignition (with flames), and then the blower motor comes on. I have been having the inducer motor come on, run for about three minutes,...

Goodman Inducer Motor [ 18 Answers ]

I have a Goodman Gas Furnace installed in 1997 and have been experiencing the following problems: The usual run for the furnace has been inducer motor on, ignition (with flames), and then the blower motor comes on. I have been having the inducer motor come on, run for about three minutes,...

Inducer Motor Direction [ 2 Answers ]

I have a Carrier WeatherMaker 8000 and my inducer motor goes in the opposite direction when furnace is not running. Could this cause a mis-firing. Without consistency I get a code 14 or 34 when furnace fails to work. Completed a component test and all seems well. Help.

Problem with inducer motor which just went out. [ 3 Answers ]

Hello everyone, this is my first question on this forum. I hope that some of you can help me out with this query, as I'm literally out in the cold right now. My inducer motor just went out on our central a/c heating unit. It's a York rooftop model. I am wondering if someone could guide me as to...

View more questions Search