Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kenduyvu Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 16, 2006, 12:14 PM
    Sewage smell under house near bathroom
    My house has base floors, and there is a bad sewage smell reaking near one of our bathrooms. I checked for leaks even crawled under the house and nothing. Even checked the P-trap to make sure it was full. The smell comes and goes but is most common around hot weather. 2 plumbers have already inspected and found nothing. A handful didn't even bother to inspect because there was no serious problem. I can't stand the stench anymore. PLEASE HELP!! :(
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 16, 2006, 12:52 PM
    Hi Ken,

Smells and noises are the most difficult to track down if you're not there.
    While we can't pinpoint the source we can point you to the most likely offenders. Most bad smells from showers and lavatories come from rotting hair matted in with grease in the drain lines. Try this for the smell. Tonight before bedtime Take a gallon of bleach and pour half down each drain and let set over night. Next morning ,(and this is important) flust out each drain with two large pans of boiling water to loosen the grease and flush the mess out.
    Also, pull the lavatory stopper and look down the drain. About 4 inches down you'll se a small rod sticking out. Fish out any hair. Does it smell better now? Regards, tom

Aug 23, 2006, 11:33 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by speedball1
    Hi Ken,

Smells and noises are the most difficult to track down if you're not there.
    While we can't pinpoint the source we can point you to the most likely offenders. Most bad smells from showers and lavatories come from rotting hair matted in with grease in the drain lines. Try this for the smell. Tonight before bedtime Take a gallon of bleach and pour half down each drain and let set over night. Next morning ,(and this is important) flust out each drain with two large pans of boiling water to loosen the grease and flush the mess out.
    Also, pull the lavatory stopper and look down the drain. About 4 inches down you'll se a small rod sticking out. Fish out any hair. Does it smell better now? regards, tom
    Thanks, will try it!

Aug 23, 2006, 11:41 AM
    Thanks, will try it!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sewage smell from basement bathroom [ 2 Answers ]

We bought our house a year ago. The basement was already finshed. In the basement bathroom there is a drain in the floor that would give off a sulphur smell. We would dump water down the drain every other day but the smell really never went completely away. About a month ago I noticed a sewage ...

Sewage smell in bathroom - feels like we've tried everything [ 2 Answers ]

I've read through several of the posts on this site and have done numerous searches across the Internet. So far, no luck... About a week ago we noticed a strong sewage smell coming from the toilet in our powder room. After cleaning the bowl with bleach (thinking it was bacteria), the smell was...

Sewage smell in bathroom [ 9 Answers ]

:eek: Our main bathroom off the master bedroom has a sewage smell coming from the shower. The drain is not clogged, the toilet and sink are fine. No smell from the sink or toilet, seems to be from the shower only. Our house is on septic system and drainfield. No soggy grass around the drainfield...

Sewage smell in bathroom [ 3 Answers ]

We have one bathroom in our house used by 4 people. Every once in a while, there is a strong sewage smell. It is intermittent, there is no certain time that it is present. I cannot pinpoint it to a certain drain or area in the bathroom. When the heat comes on, it is VERY strong when it is present...

Sewage Smell All Over the House [ 3 Answers ]

I have read all of the forums posted on this subject, but none seem to relate to my exact problem. My dad and I built this house in 2002. The plumber we hired was very good. My plumbing is all in the concrete slab. However, I am getting a sewage smell throughout the house with no obvious...

View more questions Search